Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bottom bracket question

Options
  • 20-11-2013 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

Hi if my frame takes a BB that is 68x103mm could I use a 68x109mm one instead? Can't find a suitable one online. BTW my Frame is a Charge Plug Freestyler.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭joxerjohn

It should work but the wider axle will mean that the chainset will be set a little further away from the frame. This will have an impact on your chainline. Also as a result you will also need to adjust your front derailleur and depending on it's spec this might not be able to reach another 6mm. In which case a replacement FD would be needed. It would therefore be better for you to replace with another 68/103 which should be readily available on CRC or Wiggle or from a good LBS.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Walshey96

joxerjohn wrote: »
    It should work but the wider axle will mean that the chainset will be set a little further away from the frame. This will have an impact on your chainline. Also as a result you will also need to adjust your front derailleur and depending on it's spec this might not be able to reach another 6mm. In which case a replacement FD would be needed. It would therefore be better for you to replace with another 68/103 which should be readily available on CRC or Wiggle or from a good LBS.

Forgot to mention the bike is a fixie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

this might not be able to reach another 6mm

103mm > 109mm is only 3mm on each side.

This is not too bad, considering that 3/32 chains bend a lot more within the gearing range.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

If its a fixie, its better to keep the chainline exact, though.

Alek wrote: »
    If its a fixie, its better to keep the chainline exact, though.

The Chainline is pretty exact now to be honest. Do you know of any sites where I'd get a 68x103mm Bottom Bracket? Tried CRC,Wiggle and Evans with no joy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Walshey96 wrote: »
    The Chainline is pretty exact now to be honest. Do you know of any sites where I'd get a 68x103mm Bottom Bracket? Tried CRC,Wiggle and Evans with no joy.

Can you move chainring inline of spider to compensate for bottom bracket bringing it out?

I did with mine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭RockWerchter

ford2600 wrote: »
    Can you move chainring inline of spider to compensate for bottom bracket bringing it out?

I did with mine

I'll try doing that.

Advertisement