Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What helmet do you wear and do you like it?

Options
  • 19-11-2013 1:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

I'm using Lazer Neon at the moment. Its nice and small, easily adjustable though lacks a bug net on the vents. Had a scary moment went a wasp went through during the summer.

So what are you using and are you happy with it?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Bell Sweep - Very comfortable, not great lookswise and even though it's comfy, it doesn't feel like high quality. Had to replace because I had dropped it too many times and chunks were falling off.

Giro Atmos - Not as comfy, but better looking, lighter and feels more quality. I prefer the adjusting system on it to the Bell too. Takes far less time to make adjustments on the fly.

Hate bug nets so none on either.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,485 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

the cheapest one I could get and no I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭cassette50

Lazer O2 - light, adjustable and doesn't look like a mushroom on my head.

Very happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

A cracked Giro Livestrong Ionos one, light, comfy and looks the business :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

A MET Formula I got in Halfords in 2008*. I put it on and forget about it really. The only problem I have with it is during the summer when the sweat band drips.

*Do helmets expire?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

Im not sure if they expire im sure someone will be along to tell up soon but i replace mine every 2 seasons i think its cos of my motor bike back ground when i allways replaced my hard hat every other year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

*Do helmets expire?

A 1998 Met stradavarius for winter.
    A 2011 model for summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

They're such ugly things! They look like something Darth Vader's lads would wear.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Mines a fugly Aldi special. Good points are the straps help keep my glasses on, and it adds a bit of insulation over the winter. Plenty comfortable, but no denying it looks truly awful. I don't believe any of them look good, the range being from awful to abysmal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Here's some 'shockingly chic' helmets:

http://bikepretty.com/2013/04/10-shockingly-chic-bicycle-helmets/

Repulsive, most of them. However, cue the usual "I would" comments from troglodytes.

Only one I've seen that I kinda sorta liked was a swirly one by the appealingly named Nut Case:

http://www.amazon.com/Nutcase-Swirl-Helmet-Large-X-Large/dp/B004XYIPM4

Still repellent, but at least funny.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I wear a Giro Transfer. Was reduced in Halfords so got it for half price. Very comfy and pretty light. I barely notice I have it on.

Its the ugliest shade of metalic Gray though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,030 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Cratoni Terron. Brilliant helmet, never have to adjust it mud spin and it's fairly light.

I'd prefer not to wear one, but herself laid down the law :)

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Giro Savant. Picked it up half price in a sale two years ago. Very comfy and light as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I read that UV light makes the polystyrene more brittle so you're supposed to change them every few years.

Don't wear them, but we have the helmet megthread for that. If I had to I think I'd go for the skater-style ones, or a Bern in a dark colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

Bell Volt. I'm now on my second one, so I appear to like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

I have a Cross Helmet, very comfy and I also have a BBB which is nice but not so comfy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Giro Monza. Was fine during the summer. Finding a bit less comfortable with the winter hat

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I know I look good strutting aroundvin lycra but I didn't have Fierce until I got this

http://www.sportsworld.ie/Product/Dunlop-Bike-Helmet-Senior/274401/3006050000

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Argos. I put it on and forget about it

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

http://road.cc/content/review/25853-kask-k-50-helmet

Got it half price on PX about a year ago. I have a slightly larger head than normal so cheap "one size fits all" helmets don't really fit properly. I was quite amazed at the comfort difference with the Kask. Most helmets kind of feel like they're resting on your head, hovering above it. The Kask actually feel like it's snugly wrapped around your skull.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭dermo1990

Specialized S-works Prevail. Its so light that I don't even notice it on my head compared to my last one. Has the added incentive of fear of crashing due to the replacement costs:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Picked up a Cratoni C-bolt off the adverts section here.. Really like it. Light and comfortable. But noticed the last week or two its getting a little chilly up top! Guess just need to grab a light hat for under!
    Looks well IMO too!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Zyzz wrote: »
    A cracked Giro Livestrong Ionos one, light, comfy and looks the business :)

I just got a Giro Indicator Livestrong for the OH for Christmas, is it a good one, the reviews and recommendations were all good so I thought it worth getting for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,299 ✭✭✭✭fits

I have a Bell Vela. Its grand but as someone said it feels more like its resting on top of your head than wrapping around it. Its barely noticeable though and I am happy when its on.

For horseriding I use this one. Those of you who complain about helmet discomfort definitely wouldn't like it :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEyTCjdaVyE

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

giro air attack. really comfy and looks way better than every other helmet.

AFAIK sweat can break down the polystyrene and reduce the impact absorbiness of helmets. With Motorcycle helmets (which use the same kind of foam for absorbing impact) there is a recommendation by the ACU (i think) to change every 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

lennymc wrote: »
    giro air attack. really comfy and looks way better than every other helmet.

AFAIK sweat can break down the polystyrene and reduce the impact absorbiness of helmets. With Motorcycle helmets (which use the same kind of foam for absorbing impact) there is a recommendation by the ACU (i think) to change every 5 years.

Mr Fancy Pants with the Air Attack! Do you get any reaction out of your cycle buddies for wearing it? I'd like one for road racing myself, but not good enough to pull one off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

I don't bother with them

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

always had giro helmets since roc loc came in , have and exodus and a saros at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭disco1

S works prevail... Very light and comfy.

It was a treat to myself as its stupid expensive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭disco1

S works prevail... Very light and comfy.

It was a treat to myself as its stupid expensive

Advertisement