Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ridley Orion sizing

Options
  • 18-11-2013 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,680 ✭✭✭

Does anyone else have or had one of the above. The reason i am asking is because there is a large sized ridley orion frame on sale at the cyclesuperstore tallaght for €850. I am just over 6ft in height about 6ft 1 and was curious if a large frame is the right size and also if this price for the frameset for a ridley Orion is a good deal. I have wheels (unused Mavic Krysiums) already so would need to purchase a groupset, saddle, seat post and drop bars/stem.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 835 ✭✭✭countrykid

billyhead wrote: »
    Does anyone else have or had one of the above. The reason i am asking is because there is a large sized ridley orion frame on sale at the cyclesuperstore tallaght for €850. I am just over 6ft in height about 6ft 1 and was curious if a large frame is the right size and also if this price for the frameset for a ridley Orion is a good deal. I have wheels (unused Mavic Krysiums) already so would need to purchase a groupset, saddle, seat post and drop bars/stem.

im just under 6ft with shorter legs than torso and i found a medium a stretch if im honest in the newer model which i assume it is
    pre 09 model medium fitted me perfectly.
    ridleys size big....
    and if the frame is new for 850 with a fork its good value..
    great bike...stiff and comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

I'm 185cm (6'1" and a bit) and have 2011 Orion in Large. TBH, if I had the choice again, I'd go for a medium. As @countrykid says, Ridleys size quite big and the headtube is longish.

That said, I fit the Large and have put up 10k km on it - mostly in comfort, but with a compromised stem (90mm) and when I bought it, I wasn't as supple as I am now...:)

Great bike, BTW

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I test rode a medium Orion (2012 bike) and it was perfect for me. I'm bang on 6ft tall and 32/33 inseam.

I own a Ridley compact in medium which is roughly the same dimensions as the Orion, it's a very comfortable frame size for my size/height.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,680 ✭✭✭billyhead

According to the link below the large frame has a 57 cm top tube. I ride a bike atm with a 57cm top tube but a stem reduced from 110mm to 90mm. Is the geomtery on this link below right. If so I resume the large frame would be the nearest sizing to my current bike which I had professionally fitted. Don't want to pull the trigger though if its not the right size.:o

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=42313

I wouldn't want to put you off the Large; it will fit you, just that (in my experience) you are probably at the lower end of the size that it suits. At your size you are sort of borderline between a Med and a Lrg, IMO. So, yeah, it will work, albeit with a short stem, I'd suggest. Other factors such as your flexibility and whether it is for club spins/sportive riding rather than racing, will also impact - if you are fairly flexible, and intend on using it for racing, a Medium might be better; if you are less supple and will only use it for leisure spins, the Large will be perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭wav1

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    I wouldn't want to put you off the Large; it will fit you, just that (in my experience) you are probably at the lower end of the size that it suits. At your size you are sort of borderline between a Med and a Lrg, IMO. So, yeah, it will work, albeit with a short stem, I'd suggest. Other factors such as your flexibility and whether it is for club spins/sportive riding rather than racing, will also impact - if you are fairly flexible, and intend on using it for racing, a Medium might be better; if you are less supple and will only use it for leisure spins, the Large will be perfect.
    +1 on this.Ridley large is very large.6 footers riding mediums.Id say an Orion frame could be got cheaper than e850 if you have a gander elsewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

Im 6'3'' and had a Ridley 58 large and the bar is as high as my 60cm Kovert now. Ridley are known for larger frames compared to others of advertises size.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I'm 5'10 and ride a medium Orion and tbh its a bit too long.
    Def go for a size smaller than you would normally use.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,680 ✭✭✭billyhead

Thanks for the feedback guys. Cyclesuperstore have a medium Ridley Orion on sale for 1460 (LINK BELOW). Is this a good price?
    http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=69273

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

Thanks for the feedback guys. Cyclesuperstore have a medium Ridley Orion on sale for 1460 (LINK BELOW). Is this a good price?

I see they have a 'make an offer' option there. Why not send them this link to an orion for €912 (albeit probably an older model and smaller than what you are looking for). Use that as a bargaining tool.
    Apart from that I'm not sure if that's a great price but I'm no expert.

• Advertisement

It's a good price considering that its a full bike with 105 group for only €600 over the frame price. I paid €300 more for exactly this 2 yrs ago........

Advertisement