Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Openstreet maps any good?

Options
  • 15-11-2013 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭

Anyone use these maps with a garmin 810? Would you recommend them or is it better to invest in the "genuine" Garmin maps?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Super Freak

I use them on an edge 800. Never had a problem and never been down a road that wasn't on the maps.

They're free....give them a try !!

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Super Freak

http://talkytoaster.info/ukmaps.htm. Is where I got mine, great source of info too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

If you are using the course feature, make sure you create your GPX track on website that actually uses openstreetmap for planning - i.e. RidewithGPS (top right corner of the map - switch to OSM or OSM Cycle.)

Otherwise you may encounter some issues with route calculation, i.e. your Edge will want to take you back home in the middle of the ride, in a straight line.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

It's worth checking out OpenCycleMap also as this includes nice things like contours and is based on OpenStreetMap.

True - I prefer OSM Cycle view in RWGPS, as you can see the altitude in the nicest way :-) Its a pity you can't convert it to a Garmin map.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

I use OSM UK and Ireland (03/11/2013) with routing on an edge 705 and have had no problems with it for road cycling, following Bikeroutetoaster or Garmin Connect pre planned courses, logging rides etc.
    There are quirks to be aware of if using it to find places though.
    In Find Cities: Large cities such as Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway etc are not found but townlands Castleknock, Artane, Duleek, Ardrahan etc are all listed as Cities. (Not a problem I guess once you know.)
    I can't get the find specific address to work using search criteria City, Street and Number. All combinations here are not found. I assume that this is a problem with the map.
    I originally loaded a version with contours on my edge 705 and car satnav nuvi but deleted them because the grey contour lines looked like minor road crossings as you moved along and were very confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭serendip

I've used home-built OSM maps extensively for touring in Europe. The maps are accurate and pretty complete in terms of navigation. They miss a few hotels/restaurants and the like. Also, some POIs labelled as campsites are for camper vans only. Apart from that, I can't see why anyone would pay for maps in Europe any more.

(For camp sites, the best source is http://www.archiescampings.eu/eng1/)

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭serendip

Also, for prepackaged road cycling maps, consider velomap:

- http://www.velomap.org/

Alek wrote: »
    True - I prefer OSM Cycle view in RWGPS, as you can see the altitude in the nicest way :-) Its a pity you can't convert it to a Garmin map.

Have you tried MOBAC? It can generate Garmin Custom Maps (though I dunno if these are useable for directions or just visualisation). I've used Mobac to translate OSM/OCM to SprotsTracker format for my phone. And then my own program to zoom it all up one level so I can actually read it!

Have you tried MOBAC?

Just tried it and I can't find OpenCycleMap in the app, although it is shown on the project page in screenshots... Also, I am afraid that raster maps cannot be used for navigation. Thanks anyway!

• Advertisement

Alek wrote: »
    Just tried it and I can't find OpenCycleMap in the app, although it is shown on the project page in screenshots... Also, I am afraid that raster maps cannot be used for navigation. Thanks anyway!

Ah, forgot that bit. Opencyclemap is not included but it's a fairly simple matter to add a custom map source. I can give you a copy xml file if you like.

That would be cool. Can you use navigation on MOBAC maps?

PM sent. AIUI, Mobac is tile/raster based only so it'll only be as background to a gpx track or such.

Thanks a lot - your file works as advertised! I'll experiment with this a bit now :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Downloaded a map of Ireland and tried it on my 705. Very impressed with it so far... Works a treat! Thanks for all the replies everyone!

Advertisement