Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much would it cost to make a strava website?

Options
  • 15-11-2013 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭

Anyone an IT pro that would have an idea how much a site like strava would cost to bulild and run i.e. a site with its functionality, user log in, uploads etc...

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

I'm sure you will get some IT guy telling you a few hundred or less that 1,000 but site like that with all of the functionality, the apps, ongoing maintenance, regular backups, performance monitoring is going to cost a few 10ks plus ongoing costs.

I don't much about strava but they appear to be in business of selling technology i.e. the GPS tracking performance data etc.

If you only wanted a quick and simple site that allowed someone to logon and manually add data you could do something quickly and cheaply.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,049 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If you're going to pay people to build it, megabucks. Literally.

edit: as of March 2013 Strava was reported to have $16m of funding and employed 60 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

this must be one of the most unusual questions I've ever seen on the cycling forum, friday or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Valentine1

To build a site like that and maintain it? literally millions.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,891 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

... and once there's one out there already the chances of another taking off are going to be low. It would have to offer some substantial improvement to take much traffic away from the site that's already established

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

The technical and design side could probably be done for low 5 figures. The data management, hosting, customer support etc... could easily run into 6. Depends how many users you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭buffalo

I'll do it for €500. Cash in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Uh oh! Buffalo from Boards.ie just stole your idea!

Hey Strava,

You just lost your half your members to There's_a_40kph_tail_wind_I'm_fecking_going_for_it.com for €500.

Now get out there, have fun and be safe.

-Your friends at There's_a_40kph_tail_wind_I'm_fecking_going_for_it.com

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

droidus wrote: »
    The technical and design side could probably be done for low 5 figures. The data management, hosting, customer support etc... could easily run into 6. Depends how many users you have.

Cool, thanks, not looking to make a new strava! Just wanted an idea of cost on a site with similar users/functionality.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

In related news, I see Under Armour have bought Map My Ride etc, for $150m http://www.bicycleretailer.com/industry-news/2013/11/14/under-armour-buys-mapmyfitness-150m

You'll be able to store data in your vest.

• Advertisement
Advertisement