Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can anyone recomend a good set of road bike callipers.

Options
  • 13-11-2013 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭

seriously need to upgrade the break callipers on my bike (trek 1.5). on treks website, their listed as "alloy dual pivot" and have no brand mark on them.
    can anyone recommend me a pair? noting too pricey.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

can you mix campag/shimano/sram parts? isnt there a velo rule against this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭happytramp

lizzylad84 wrote: »
    can you mix campag/shimano/sram parts? isn't there a velo rule against this?

Probably. But shiny Campagnolo goes with everything ;)

Alternatively you could just rub the logo's off and have plain silver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Shimano R650. Trek 1.5 needs long drop me thinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭WillyFXP

Have you looked at upgrading the pads, would be cheaper than new calipers and the factory pads are probably cheap hard compound jobbies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭TheDocMan

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=86881470

These would be an excellent upgrade on the basic calipers on the trek 1.2 or 1.5. As one of above posters mentioned these are "long reach calipers" required for these bikes.
    Immaculate, Ultegra quality and about half shop price.
    Let me know if interested- I can post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 835 ✭✭✭countrykid

happytramp wrote: »

Best value out there...
    They are available on chain reaction for €34 approx...
    Cartridge pads too...
    And the will work fine with shimano levers...
    This whole pull ratio thing is only noticeable in higher end levers and calipers in my opinion..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

countrykid wrote: »
    Best value out there...
    They are available on chain reaction for €34 approx...
    Cartridge pads too...
    And the will work fine with shimano levers...
    This whole pull ratio thing is only noticeable in higher end levers and calipers in my opinion..

Just bought a pair myself recently, very pleased with them. Just be aware when replacing shoes or pads that campag are different from shimano.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Just remember that if you buy Campag calipers and use then with anything other then Campag levers you will have no way of releasing the calipers to take off your wheel. If you run wider then 24mm tyres you may not be able to get the wheel off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭happytramp

bcmf wrote: »
    Just remember that if you buy Campag calipers and use then with anything other then Campag levers you will have no way of releasing the calipers to take off your wheel. If you run wider then 24mm tyres you may not be able to get the wheel off

Oh yeah, of course. Campagnolo have their quick release mechanisms built into the levers. Forgot about that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement