Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Can it be a Faulty pump?

Options
  • 13-11-2013 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭

I have a Beto track pump like this.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beto-Alloy-Wooden-Handle-Floor/dp/B00779IF36
    It doesn't get a seal on the valves on both the front and back tubes. I have unscrewed the valves and lifted the lever after it fixes to the valve with the lever down as its meant to be done and when I try to pump up the tyres the air just comes straight back out and sometimes their is a burst of air from the valve and it blows straight back. Also becasue I cant get a seal on the valve I have to try and hold it fixed with one hand and use the other to pump it but only get to about 30-40psi before I give up i.e the air just comes straight out. I have a hand pump aswell and can pump up the air in the tyres using this but obviously cannot gauge or measure the PSI with this. Could the pump head be faulty and if so can anyone recommend a decent one that gives a good seal and actually works. BTW the valves on both tubes are short but doubt this could be the reason:confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Are you unscrewing the valves all the way?

If you are, try only unscrewing them enough that you can press on the valve and it releases air.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Limestone1

Does the pump have two separate openings for Presta and Schrader ? Some pumps have just one with a reversable insert though usually this is just on hand pumps. If you can't make a seal then you may be using the presta opening.
    Also as mentioned above - press down on the valve after unscrewing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

pinch the tyre above the valve whilst pumping some pumps need back pressure to create a seal

• Registered Users Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭billyhead

Could the length of the presta valve have anything to do with it. The previous valves I had were longer and although I could not get a seal without holding the pump with one had against the valve I could manage to pump the tubes up to around 110psi. With these I can only get about 40 psi and still have to hold the pump against the valve.

Advertisement