Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South Coast Winter Thread

Options
  • 13-11-2013 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭

Just so them Leinster boys don't think they're getting it all their own way :p here's a South Coast Winter thread.

Has anyone been out yet? Anything about?

Was out last week in Kerry. Nothing doing at all, and got soaked for the privilege. Am planning on hitting Monkstown in the next week or two.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭.red.

Dont bother with monkstown. It will be mainly small fish and it gets too busy with non desirables. Save your bait and keep going onto youghal. Bit more of a spin but if the cod arent biting the big rays might be!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Have you been out recently red?

Not in a few weeks.
    Theres a few whiting and coalies about but the codling arent in numbers yet. There have been a few caught upto 6lbs around youghal tho. Same with rays, no great numbers but some very bigs ones about, upto 12lbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭squidly

I went for a walk in monkstown today and most of the lads that were out had some decent sized whiting,not much cod about apparently.

I fished east cork the other night with poor enough results. Managed a small coalie and 2 dogs but it was flat calm so hardly ideal conditions. Was gonna chance youghal for cod but crab is scarce at the moment so stuck to a beach.

• Advertisement

squidly wrote: »
    I went for a walk in monkstown today and most of the lads that were out had some decent sized whiting,not much cod about apparently.

Thanks, good to hear. At least with whiting you dont need crab so it makes for a cheaps days fishing and light gear makes for good craic. Must try and get there this week but have just been up the walls with work :(

SeaFields wrote: »
    Thanks, good to hear. At least with whiting you dont need crab so it makes for a cheaps days fishing and light gear makes for good craic. Must try and get there this week but have just been up the walls with work :(

You wont get away with light gear in monkstown on slack tides let alone with a 4m+ tide we have this week.
    Love the lighter fishing myself. Gonna chance east cork again this week armed with my scratching rods, maddies, lug and a few razor in the hope that the flatties are playing ball. Always the chance of a rogue bass too.

The car park is grand for light gear I find. Its out of the strongest of the tidal pull. For whiting its handy that way. Even very close in at the wall on light gear can be good whiting tactic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,684 ✭✭✭jd

Big comp on Youghal beach this weekend with great prizes :) 500 euro for the biggest cod. See the other thread for details.

Advertisement