Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Numb crown jewels

Options
  • 12-11-2013 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

Ok, so I tried out the new bike yesterday and all was perfect but upon arriving home I 'discovered' the crown jewels were...ahem...numb!:eek: Almost 24 hours later and no discernable change. Adjusted the angle before and during this mornings ride but still the same. Any advice? Is this common? It's never happened to me before...honest!
    Cube Peleton Race bike with Selle Italia X1 Road saddle.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭endacl

You'll need to post a pic.,.,

:)

Serious answer: Have you considered a bike fitting? To make sure the pressure is off all the right areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Try your old saddle out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Valentine1

I had a similar problem, I found moving the saddle a little bit forward on the rails (about 1cm) was a great improvement without the need for a fitting. The move meant I was sitting on the more *ahem* supportive part of my posterior rather then the *cough* perineal area.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Jabel

endacl wrote: »
    You'll need to post a pic.,.,

:)

Serious answer: Have you considered a bike fitting? To make sure the pressure is off all the right areas.

The lads did fit me up on the bike including saddle adjustments and I felt nothing (no pun intended!) on the commute yesterday. A trifle worried...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Presume you wear good padded shorts?

• Advertisement

Raam wrote: »
    Presume you wear good padded shorts?

Yep, Aldi's best but have had no issues in the past due to a hard ass...or maybe that's lard ass:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Jabel wrote: »
    Ok, so I tried out the new bike yesterday and all was perfect but upon arriving home I 'discovered' the crown jewels were...ahem...numb!:eek: Almost 24 hours later and no discernable change. Adjusted the angle before and during this mornings ride but still the same. Any advice? Is this common? It's never happened to me before...honest!
    Cube Peleton Race bike with Selle Italia X1 Road saddle.

You mean you're still numb?
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

When your feeling has returned to normal head out for a spin with your Allen key and adjust as necessary until the bulk of your sitting weight is on your sit bones rather than your crotch area. if your saddle is high in the centre there is a chance that it is simply a saddle which doesn't suit you. Try san marco saddle or perhaps one with a cut out, specialized ronin etc.

Yeah still numb (well, not totally numb but definitely not normal)
    Have tried Valentines suggestion and moved saddle forward so we'll see if there's any change.
    Can just imagine Mrs J's reaction...

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭darkvalley

I got the same bike about 2 months ago and love it, all except the saddle which I could not get used to. Just received in the post today a new Sella SMP, but havent tried it out yet so cant say if it is any improvement. Also got new tyres, 25mm GP 4seasons, as I found the Schwalbe's great in the dry, but very little grip in the wet. I was terrified :eek:
    Oh by the way if you are still numb after 24 hours, I'd start to worry!! For me numbness was gone after about 15 - 20 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

darkvalley wrote: »
    Oh by the way if you are still numb after 24 hours, I'd start to worry!! For me numbness was gone after about 15 - 20 minutes.

Yeah, seriously, don't exacerbate it by cycling until it's back to normal and take it easy until you figure out how to resolve things.

Even if you already have kids or don't want them, you might still enjoy being able to have sex in later life ;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Jabel wrote: »
    Yep, Aldi's best but have had no issues in the past due to a hard ass...or maybe that's lard ass:rolleyes:

And that is your problem, I bought their best when I started off, 45 mins into a cycle the pain was INCREDIBLE. I pulled into a gateway and noticed it had ripped the skin off the inside of my leg and my liathroidí!!!

So go and spend 40 or 50 quid on a right pair of shorts. Make sure they are the right size and get out of the saddle every now and again and do the "hippy shake".

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Valentine1

if sensation hasn't returned at this stage you should go to a doctor. I'm not kidding, that is serious.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Valentine1 wrote: »
    if sensation hasn't returned at this stage you should go to a doctor. I'm not kidding, that is serious.

He is right in that regard, you could have a burst blood vessel, better be safe on this one. Numbness would normally be gone within an hour or a few hours at max.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

I suffered from numbness last winter, that lasted for days, not great for the old love life, worried me greatly.

Having researched it, moving the saddle forward helps and tilting the front down, as someone said making you sit on your sit bones. The issue comes from cutting off blood by putting pressure on a vein in ur under carriage.

Alternatives are changing saddle but I'd try sorting out the one you have

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=84072

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dvntie

You might also need to drop your saddle height. Assuming that you got new shoes/pedals along with your new bike there can be a big differential between thickness of soles etc. Also bear in mind that you might also have different length cranks than your old bike which could also lead to putting too much pressure on the perianal area

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Sorry, but numbness for that period of time may be indicative of a serious problem, so I'll have to close this up. Recommend seeing a medical professional.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement