Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kellys arc 3.0 or Kellys urc 4.9

Options
  • 11-11-2013 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Guys please help, which should I choose. A brand new arc 3.0 or a secondhand but appearing to be in good nick urc 4.9?? First proper road bike and I will be using it mainly for long cycles and fitness etc , not for racing or competitions (yet). Help please!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Guys please help, which should I choose. A brand new arc 3.0 or a secondhand but appearing to be in good nick urc 4.9?? First proper road bike and I will be using it mainly for long cycles and fitness etc , not for racing or competitions (yet). Help please!!!

Have you considered other bikes and disregarded them or why are the two bikes above the only options?

If they were my only options I'd go for the higher spec 4.9, it's a carbon frame isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ParaHappyman

CJC999 wrote: »
    Have you considered other bikes and disregarded them or why are the two bikes above the only options?

If they were my only options I'd go for the higher spec 4.9, it's a carbon frame isn't it?

Because I also have a bike that I am trying to trade in as I want to get a road bike and the only two shops that I have found that will accept trade ins have them bikes!! It actually quite confusing with all the different bits to be honest!!
    Yeah the 4.9 is carbon frame but it is 2nd hand! Also a 105 groupset whereas the 3.0 is tiagra!?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Because I also have a bike that I am trying to trade in as I want to get a road bike and the only two shops that I have found that will accept trade ins have them bikes!! It actually quite confusing with all the different bits to be honest!!
    Yeah the 4.9 is carbon frame but it is 2nd hand! Also a 105 groupset whereas the 3.0 is tiagra!?

The obvious question is do you know a bike mechanic that could suss it out for you?

Unfortunately no.......That is why I am quite reluctant to buy a secondhand bike as a starter until I am experienced and know more about bikes!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Well it's reasonably easy to find out what to check for online.

Is it from a retailer or a private seller? If it's from a retailer once you do your due dilligence on them and their reputation with customers you can start breathing more easily already. As someone governed by the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act it's in their interest to ensure they sell you a bike that's fit for purpose.

With the second hand bike you want to do up a checklist and look at pics online of how to check for visual damage as well as ensuring that moving parts move smoothly and freely.

There are far better minds on here for that, and probably on google too but as a start I'd say you'd want to check for:
    - Signs of cracking or wear on the frame, any scratches, cosmetic damage should be reflected in the price.
    - Signs of wear on the sprockets on the chainrings (front gears) and cassette (Rear gears)
    - check that the derailleurs (the devices that move the line the chain runs on) move freely and spring back into place when you let go of them.
    - Check for scratches or signs of damage to the rims of the wheels, loose spokes or obvious buckles, kinks.
    - There should be no fraying or rust on the cables and the brake pads should be new (if it's from a retailer, I'd be stunned if they hadn't put new cables and brake pads and probably tyres on a 2nd hand bike).

If at all possible take a short test ride to ensure that there are no problems when your body weight is on the bike, as a lot of annoying clicks and other minor problems are only apparent when there is someone actually sitting on the bike.

If it was me, I'd much rather have a well maintained CF bike with 105 than a new Tiagra equipped Alu frame but YMMV. Good luck.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies! Ended up getting a good deal on my own bike and went for a new Giant Defy 1! Love it. Thanks again.

Advertisement