Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sora brakes not returning - issue is the shifters

Options
  • 11-11-2013 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am having a problem with my Shimano Sora Shifters . My brakes weren't returning after I pulled the lever, so given the time of year that was in it I took the calipers apart and cleaned them thoroughly, freeing up the swinging arm on the calipers. This didn't fix the problem, so I am sure that the issue lies in the brakes housing itself. Something inside the housing is preventing the cable from being tensioned properly.

The cables are not the issue, the calipers are not the issue, so I want to learn how to take apart the shifters and diagnose the problem. I looked online for a few videos but none seemed very good, nor did they address the issue I was facing.

I would appreciate it if anyone could point me to good resources that could explain how to break down a sora shifter, or better yet an article or forum that has this issue solved. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

How do you know its not the cables? This is the time of year when cables that have been fine all year start acting up.
    Any bit of moisture in the old cables will stop the return.
    I really wouldn't go stripping shifters until you have changed the cables.
    If you have changed the cables then is there a small adjusting screw on the calipers.Adjust this as this put tension on the spring in the caliper.
    HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭joxerjohn

My first thought would also be the cables being the problem so you should definately check and change them if needed. It is usually the rear brake cable that can become a bit sticky. The shifters do have a light spring as well you should be able to check that its is working by disconnecting /removing the cables. If it does work then it's too much resistance in the cables and outers thats causing the problem. Shimano shifters are not designed to be easily dismantled so caution here, if you too much force you may do damage.

I recently used a Jagwire cableset kit which came with all the outers cables and ferrules etc. and they worked very well. These are teflon coated so you get lower pull resistance A bit pricey maybe at around €40 for the set but very good quality and wide choice of colours.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Sounds like you need a new bike.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Muckers

Cable or outer cable housing issue. I had this myself not too long ago, and found the problem lay with the outer cable where it entered the shifter housing. I ran new outer cable front and rear and problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭r27

Worked on plenty of bikes 90% of the time its the cable usually the cable itself, hasn't been cut cleanly ,or the cable ends arnt put on properly ,or arnt on at all . Id take it to a bike shop before I went near taking apart a shifter there a nightmare to put back together

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Muckers wrote: »
    Cable or outer cable housing issue. I had this myself not too long ago, and found the problem lay with the outer cable where it entered the shifter housing. I ran new outer cable front and rear and problem solved.

Would agree here. Also the Shifters are very easy to take apart. I only serviced mine last month. Just take a photo at each stage you remove something and then if you run into trouble look through the photos to see what goes where.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,052 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I think what everyone else has missed is that it's probably the cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

logik wrote: »
    Also the Shifters are very easy to take apart. I only serviced mine last month. Just take a photo at each stage you remove something and then if you run into trouble look through the photos to see what goes where.

What do you do with the bits left over?

Advertisement