Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giant Defy 4 vs Trek 1.1(2014)

Options
  • 10-11-2013 3:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at getting a road bike for Christmas for commuting and fitness. I'm not a member of any cycling or triathlon club so I'm not looking to race competitively at the moment.

As part of the back to work scheme, I've been offered either the defy 4 or trek 1.1 at 680, or the defy 3 at 780. 680 would fit the budget better as it'd allow me to pick up the extras (lights, kryptolock and helmet) for the extra hundred. However, if the difference was drastic, I could push for the defy 3.

For someone who has never owned anything but a mountain bike, which would you recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Both brands are pretty bulletproof. All I can say is I have a similar Trek for nearly 4 years and is yet to out perform me, give or take 10000 km on it without issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

I have the 2013 Trek 1.1 and I can honestly say it's a great bike! I came from a Dual Suspension Steel Framed Mountain Bike and the difference was just amazing, I was travelling much further with significantly less effort, and when I wanted to go fast, I could. They're honestly amazing! But this is just the input from a Beginner :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

marko93 wrote: »
    I have the 2013 Trek 1.1 and I can honestly say it's a great bike! I came from a Dual Suspension Steel Framed Mountain Bike and the difference was just amazing, I was travelling much further with significantly less effort, and when I wanted to go fast, I could. They're honestly amazing! But this is just the input from a Beginner :P
    It was leaning towards the trek anyway as I preferred the reach on it a little bit more (was a bit more upright that the Giant, and less of a stretch). Will put the gears in motion so, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

Jackobyte wrote: »
    It was leaning towards the trek anyway as I preferred the reach on it a little bit more (was a bit more upright that the Giant, and less of a stretch). Will put the gears in motion so, I think.

Good lad! Definitely a great bike to start with, I can see it lasting me a very long time!

Let me know how you get on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

marko93 wrote: »
    Good lad! Definitely a great bike to start with, I can see it lasting me a very long time!

Let me know how you get on :)

I have the 2012 version trek 1.1. Never has given me trouble and is great for winter training I find.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Have the Trek 1.1 myself and its a fantastic bike. Has not missed a beat yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭JHet

Hi

You mind me asking where was offering it at 680?

In the market myself for one

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

JHet wrote: »
    Hi

You mind me asking where was offering it at 680?

In the market myself for one
    The Bike Shop, Limerick.

It was listed at 749€ in the shop. However, due to the structure of the cycle-to-work scheme offered by my dad's employer, he was able to knock a bit more off the price and do us a deal on it.

Advertisement