Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is there such thing as poor tubes?

Options
  • 09-11-2013 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭

Bought two 60mm value tubes for my cosmic wheels and fitted them today after my cycle. However when i was pumping tyre there was a bang and result was there was a noticable hole in tube when i took it out again. Can this happen? Btw i have changed tubes before so i dont know what happened here. Do i need to put rubber around the top of rim in the point of contact between the that and the tube?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭denbatt

I have definitely had ****e tubes from all manufacturers. Not unusual for tubes to leak around the valve. Presume that their is rim tape on your wheels?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Just like everything wake you get what you pay for. I used a no name tube a month ago and it done the same as the OP's and popped at around 90psi when I was up pumping it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

i've had trouble patching cheap tubes

usually i have no problem with punctures

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

I'd 3 no name tubes fail because the valve ripped where it joins the rubber while pumping.

Using Vittoria Ultralite tubes now and no problems with those.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Sounds like the tube was "pinched" between the tyre and rim when fitted. Then when you inflate the tube you get a big BANG!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

I had several blow outs at the valve stem across two bikes, so the issue was definitely with the brand. Never buying cheap tubes again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

There are poor quality tubes, and the valves do come off them, not to mention their extra weight, which can be an issue if you're spending good money on light wheels and tyres.

The OP's issue does sound like the tube escaped from the tyre during inflation (an error during mounting). The other issue I used to see a lot was people using cheap (black rubber, like inner tube material) rim tape with hollow-section rims - the high pressure and soft tape allows the inner tube to expand into the hollow section through the spoke holes, and it goes pop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Think I discovered the problem. I didn't have rim tape on wheels and when examining the tubes i could see bubbles on a regular pattern on the tubes. I forgot to put it in. It wasn't the tyre that pinched the tube because I checked the tyre for this before pumping.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭frazzledazzle

just a tip - when you have the tube and tyre mounted - push the valve up into the tyre and then pull it back again - this will clear the pinch point around where the tube valve enters the wheel which is a very common cause of tube going pop on inflation or even after a few km's .......

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭joxerjohn

I like the Michelin airstop A1, they are great tubes, theyre pretty light = and don't lose their pressure like others I have tried. Have had a blowout as described which was down to a pinch as mentioned. Not having the rimtape on will do it !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Slightly off topic but does anyone know which tubes have removable valves. Its handy to be able to change the valve only in case they get excessively bent or break off..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

I use continental tubes, haven't had any issues so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭SilverLiningOK

Similar problem recently after fitting new 700c Schwalbe Marathon Plus to hybrid. Got new Specialized tubes as well. One exploded on day one and the other one keeps loosing air. I know Marathon Pluses are a little trick re: not being able to check to hardness accurately without guage but this is unusual all the same. Anyone else have similar issue with them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but does anyone know which tubes have removable valves. Its handy to be able to change the valve only in case they get excessively bent or break off..

I've never had a valve break, only that it,s torn away from the tube at the base of the valve. I don't think replaceable valves would help.

Schwalbe presta valves have a removable core, and your lbs should be able to provide you with a spare core or two, from the ones in the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

AltAccount wrote: »
    I've never had a valve break, only that it,s torn away from the tube at the base of the valve. I don't think replaceable valves would help.

Sometimes if you pump the tyres regularly the valve gets bent when putting the pump head on and off. Often when I try to straighten it sometimes it breaks.

maybe its just me,

Sometimes if you pump the tyres regularly the valve gets bent when putting the pump head on and off. Often when I try to straighten it sometimes it breaks.

maybe its just me,

It's not just you, that's why Schwalbe tubes are great, because you can change the core of the valve when it happens.

Advertisement