Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The fate of iol.ie and iolfree.ie email and webspace

Options
  • 09-11-2013 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi, since this was the place I found comments on the demise of the unison email server, I hope it is the right place for my question, too.

After having lost all my unison addresses and having worked for two full nights to clean up the mess, I am getting worried the same thing may happen to my iol.ie and iolfree.ie addresses. I also have some webspace attached to those addresses and the iolfree.ie webspace is already denying me FTP access. The content is still available online, but I can not change or delete any of it.

My first problem is that I can not even find out who is in charge of iol/iolfee at this time. I have asked my home phone supplier, but they know nooothing.

So please, if anybody out there has some factual information in this regard, I'll be very happy to hear about it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

It seems www.iol.ie is owned by BT ireland and the www.iolfree.ie is owned by esat(which BT bought off denis o brien years ago).

So best bet would be to give BT a call,they might be able to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ro66ert

returnNull wrote: »
    It seems www.iol.ie is owned by BT ireland and the www.iolfree.ie is owned by esat(which BT bought off denis o brien years ago).

So best bet would be to give BT a call,they might be able to help you.

I thought BT was bought by Vodafone. We used to be with BT, than Vodafone took over.

ro66ert wrote: »
    I thought BT was bought by Vodafone. We used to be with BT, than Vodafone took over.

I think that was the residential broadband they sold to vodafone,BT still provides broadband to business's as far as I know.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

BT transferred their Residential customers over to Vodafone as part of an cooperation agreement. Vodafone then use BT Ireland's wholesale services. They didn't buy BT Ireland as such.

BT Ireland still provide services for businesses.
    http://www.cellular-news.com/story/38685.php

Thank you both. I'll try and get in touch with them on Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

I see the unison one was due for renewal this month, so if they have dropped that, then iol is due next month so I'd be worried about that. Iolfree is due next march, so maybe some leeway if they are clearing out cobwebs.
    Am amazed to see some ancient 1999 stuff still working fine, some of the most reliable email services on the planet, and haven't changed a bit, afraid to mention in case someone goes oh yeah forgot about that, must switch it off.:pac:

I emailed BT Ireland on Sunday night and got an automated response an hour later, letting me know they received my mail. Nothing since.

wil wrote: »
    I see the unison one was due for renewal this month, so if they have dropped that, then iol is due next month so I'd be worried about that. Iolfree is due next march, so maybe some leeway if they are clearing out cobwebs.

Hi wil, where did you find that information that iol is due to be switched off this month and iolfree next march?

Hi wil, where did you find that information that iol is due to be switched off this month and iolfree next march?

you can check online who owns the website and when the website address is up for renewal.

type the web address of iol.ie and iolfree.ie in to this link ,and it will give you all the information
    http://www.whoislookup.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭bluesfan

Is this just speculation at the moment or has anyone heard anything solid? I have used an iol and iolfree email as my main email for over ten year now maybe longer, I'd hate to lose them.

bluesfan wrote: »
    Is this just speculation at the moment or has anyone heard anything solid? I have used an iol and iolfree email as my main email for over ten year now maybe longer, I'd hate to lose them.

speculation.

Although this :
    I also have some webspace attached to those addresses and the iolfree.ie webspace is already denying me FTP access. The content is still available online, but I can not change or delete any of it.
    would indicate something is wrong,hard to tell if its on the OP's end or if its the email service itself.

• Advertisement

I have an old @iol.ie e-mail and webspace and the FTP is still allowing me access. So I assume it's only the iolfree.ie FTP.

I still use my IOL e-mail but I'm planning to migrate it, will either be to Outlook.com or a hosted Exchange platform.

returnNull wrote: »
    you can check online who owns the website and when the website address is up for renewal.

type the web address of iol.ie and iolfree.ie in to this link ,and it will give you all the information
    http://www.whoislookup.ie/
    Thanks, never dawned on me to check the whois register. Guess I was thinking in terms of free webspace more than the fact that it's actually a subdomain.
    Karsini wrote: »
    I have an old @iol.ie e-mail and webspace and the FTP is still allowing me access. So I assume it's only the iolfree.ie FTP.
    Yes, iol is working fine.

I rang BT Ireland and a very nice lady assured me that there was no danger of those services being dropped. And she sounded like somebody that knows her stuff.
    I have also emailed support regarding the FTP problem I have with iolfree. I'll get back if/when I find out more.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Seriously in this day and age no one should be on a dinosaur of an email service such as iol. Gmail is perfect for 99% of people, outlook.com is a good alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

I too have a @iol.ie email address (example John@iol.ie) that is my main email

However - my annual bill is €312 a year. Starting to feel this on the pocket- and will have to look at it on renewal in January. Are ye all paying a similar amount?

If I cancelled... where would the emails to John@iol.ie go??? Would they be bounced at least to show that it no longer a valid address? If I cancel - how can I get all emails to john@iol.ie redirected to my john@gmail.com address??

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Masala wrote: »

However - my annual bill is €312 a year. Starting to feel this on the pocket- and will have to look at it on renewal in January. Are ye all paying a similar amount?
    Wow :eek: I thought most IOL gold users got it free now. You could get your own .ie domain and an extremely good hosting package for less than that a year.
    If I cancelled... where would the emails to John@iol.ie go??? Would they be bounced at least to show that it no longer a valid address? If I cancel - how can I get all emails to john@iol.ie redirected to my john@gmail.com address??
    Emails will bounce back once the email service is turned off or account removed. Sender will receive a mailer notice that the person at XXXX@iol.ie is no longer available. You can forward emails to your Gmail/Outlook.com etc. accounts easily via POP3. Of course this will cease to function once your IOL account becomes disabled

Nick

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

?
    Oh dear. You are getting completely ripped off. You can go to Mod Edit: here and get website and email hosting for about €50 a year. You seriously need to get someone to look at that for you.

It would not be that hard to set up some sort of forwarder to send on the email from iol to your new address, and an auto responder telling them you no longer use it and to use your new email.

Personally I find it hard to take a business seriously if in this day and age they do not have their own domain and email.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Mod: Just remember folks not to name or recommend any web hosting providers. :)

Nick

Zascar wrote: »
    Seriously in this day and age no one should be on a dinosaur of an email service such as iol. Gmail is perfect for 99% of people, outlook.com is a good alternative.

I collect free email addresses like other people collect stamps. Anybody can register a gmail address. Try and register an iol address now :)

I know I'm mad. But who isn't?

Would I be right in thinking that you are paying €312 for your broadband package, not for your email address?

If you are going to change your email address, set up your new address NOW — not tomorrow, not next week.
    Set your new mailbox to collect your email from the iol address and answer your mail with your new address.
    Add a signature to your email telling everyone that you have changed address.
    Make a list of all the website log-ins you are using the iol address for. Change your log-in details as you log into websites. Tick them of in your list.

There is a slight chance that, if you change provider, you may still keep your iol address. What the heck. Than you have two. But don't start collecting them like I do :)

I cancelled my IOL service years ago but the e-mail address is still active. They don't cancel it.

• Advertisement

I received a reply today to my email that I sent to support(at)btireland.ie.
    Their reply was: "Could you please provide the web address, username and password and we will investigate this issue for you."

Isn't the number one rule in life "Don't send your username and password"?

Don't they have those details on record? I did use one of my iolfree addresses to contact them. Should that not be enough for them to investigate the matter?

Anyway, the FTP access for iolfree does not work for any of the accounts. Should they not just look into the system itself to establish the problem?

I really want this sorted, but I also don't like sending usernames and passwords around the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

Thanks, never dawned on me to check the whois register. Guess I was thinking in terms of free webspace more than the fact that it's actually a subdomain.

Yes, iol is working fine.

I rang BT Ireland and a very nice lady assured me that there was no danger of those services being dropped. And she sounded like somebody that knows her stuff.
    I have also emailed support regarding the FTP problem I have with iolfree. I'll get back if/when I find out more.

Domain has been renewed for another 10 Years
    domain: iol.ie
    descr: BT Ireland
    descr: Body Corporate (Ltd,PLC,Company)
    descr: Discretionary Name
    admin-c: AAA368-IEDR
    tech-c: AAA368-IEDR
    renewal: 14-December-2023
    nserver: auth01.ns.esat.net
    nserver: sec01.ns.esat.net

nelly17 wrote: »
    Domain has been renewed for another 10 Years

If they kept up the service for 10 more years, that would be great. It may even outlast me then ;-)

Is there anybody else out there that has webspace with iolfree.ie and has problems accessing it? I'm talking webspace now — not email.
    Please let me know here or by private messaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭blackbox

My IOLFREE webspace has been working perfectly up to this week. Still Ok to view but I am getting an FTP error when I try to publish:

425 Could not open data connection to port 64006. From searching, this seems to be a server side issue (haven't changed any settings my end)

I'll try again tomorrow.

I just managed to get in. Seems that the only thing that was wrong was that the tranfer mode was not set to 'active'.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Mirka

Hi Guys,

Can anyone provide me with an iolfree.ie support telephone number??
    Would really appreciate this?
    As I am unable to acess my emails!

Thanks to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

@iol.ie seems to have stopped working yesterday. Maybe it's just a temporary glitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

Has anyone got a number for iol.ie email support as mine is still down this morning?

Try 1800 923 924. It's mentioned on the BT website at http://www.btireland.ie/consumer.shtml

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

ellieh1 wrote: »
    Has anyone got a number for iol.ie email support as mine is still down this morning?

Let us know how you get on if you get through.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement