Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seat post slipping fixes?

Options
  • 06-11-2013 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've a trek 1500 from 2005, and lately the seat post has kept on slipping when i raise it up. When it slips and I take it back out there is a sticky gooey type substance on it (:eek:) and it will continue to slip again after a few km even when tightened a lot at the bolt. I brought it to a shop that sprayed degreaser down the seat post holder hole, and wiped the post clean, but not the issue is persisting, besides a new bike (which to be honest i'm doing the maths on as we speak :) any one have any ideas on best way to fix it? More degreaser or what?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭piston

Check the threads on the bolt and replace if anyway damaged would be a good start.

Be wary of over-tightening it as you can deform the frame. I've often shimmed persistent slipping seatposts with a shim made from an old Coke tin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Here's the answer, you're looking for.

You need a new bike. This problem will persist. There're is no lasting answer to your problem.
    A new bike is the only real solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

great idea, had used a shim for an old TT bike with same issues, will do that, thanks, so just get can of coke and then cut out an inch long and enough to wrap around the post? Then try get it to go down the seat hole and leave a rim at the top of the hole so it doesn't fully slip down? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

there is antislip paste that you can get afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭disco1

Clean the gooey paste off your post and inside frame with spirit or vodka....then go to a good bike shop and buy tacx carbon compound apply loads to seat post put back in frame clean off excess and job should be a good un.

If problem still existis then you have a problem

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭The Big Lebowsky

Just buy a new seat clamp....check the diameter of the seatpost...
    Treks usually take a standard 27.2 seatpin.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

Check to see if the seat clamp is turned the right way round. Bolt should be at the side with the slot so that when the bolt is tightened the section of the frame where the slot is is what compresses fully to hold the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

Threw a shim in and no issues on the spin there so will see how it goes, thanks for all the feedback

Ps I actually just bought a new bike, just didn't want to admit it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

When you have cleaned up the seat post, and then put some carbon paste on it try this
    http://www.rosebikes.com/article/xtreme-wcr-seat-tube-clamp-double-clamp/aid:255007

• Advertisement
Advertisement