Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling training camps...any ideas?

Options
  • 05-11-2013 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi,
    I am thinking of taking 10 days in February to attend a cycling training camp.
    Lanzarote was recommended as I was told the terain in similar to Ireland.
    I usually go at 35 km ph with my club.
    I'd be grateful for any recommendations.

Thanks in advance.
    M.S.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 mariussulla

Er...thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭nilhg

There's a Lanzarote thread here, you might be as well to ask any specific questions about it there.

TBH your OP was very general, you'll get more responses if you're more specific about what you're looking for, from the speed you mentioned I'd be thinking you want something suitable for racing training but that's not clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

pgft0.jpg

I went to GC last year for about 5 days. Lots of lovely roads and lovely climbs and lovely weather. It was lovely. Never been to Lanzarote, but I can recomend GC. Are you looking for a school or doing your own thing?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I'd love to got to Majorca for winter training. With or without Stevo.

http://www.stephenroche.com

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Have done several warm weather training holidays over the years with some being organised weeks and most arranged by myself.At that time of year to be certain of better weather you are generally confined to the Canaries, the balearics and the southern tip of spain.
    Here is my summary

Mallorca - great variety of routes/terrain particularly in the north. Very good road surfaces. Weather in february can be suspect. The island is set up for cyclists so plenty of options for bike hire and bike friendly accommodation. Have been told it can get very busy with cyclists in the early part of the year.

Lanzarote - the flattest of the canary islands but the terrain can still be challenging wind can be an issue. After 10 days you will be repeating a lot of the same routes. Weather with the exception of the wind should be fine early feb .

Tenerife - You will struggle to find any flat routes and you need to be fairly well most routes involve climbing up to Teide. The gradient is never overly steep but it is constant climbing over long distances. In fact more challenging climbs can be found in the northern corners Masca in the west and anaga in the east. Road surfaces are fine (much better than ireland) but there are parts with horrible surfaces. Not a place for a beginner. Road bike rental not as common as other locations but still plenty of options.

Gran Canaria - My favourite - plenty of cheap accommodation and a good variety of routes with plenty of options for guided rides or the opportunity to do your own thing. Plenty of other cyclists around as well

There are loads of other options in the south of spain were the weather should be pleasant even at that time of the year and tend to be cheaper as they are not that busy compared to the canaries. I think a lot of the training camps are run out of denia if you want to look up more information.

The decision to go to an all inclusive training camp is entirely up to you and having been to a few i can see their benefits however they do tend to be far more expensive than the diy option
    A word of warning if you go for the full training camp option be careful with the buffet. Most cyclists tend yo go way overboard with food and pack on a few pounds over the week.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

cunavalos wrote: »
    Gran Canaria - My favourite - plenty of cheap accommodation and a good variety of routes with plenty of options for guided rides or the opportunity to do your own thing. Plenty of other cyclists around as well

free motion cycles are very good to deal with on GC if you need to hire a bike. They also have leaflets/maps with suggested rides, and can organise group spins. I would recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 mariussulla

Hi,
    I have a week in February, maybe two.
    I'd like to spend it improving fitness, bike-handling skills etc. somewhere where the sun shines and the mountains are high.
    Can anyone recommend a cycling training camp?

I'd be grateful for any suggestions.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I've always liked www.vamoscycling.com

Used them three times now and I would go back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

I would recommend free-motion in gran canaria not necessarily a training camp but will allow you to get the miles in and warm weather guaranteed (unlike mainland spain and the balearics in february)
    http://free-motion.net/en/gran-canaria/road-riding

IIRC you were given advice recently enough on the same topic and also advised to use the search function
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=87371631

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭smalltalk

I was with these Guys two years ago http://www.andaluciancyclingexperience.com/index.html
    going back in March.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Sjhrunner

These guys and gals offer a great trip in stunning surroundings.
    http://www.alpinecadence.com/
    Feb is probably too early for the Alps due to the passes still being snowed in.
    I *think* the earliest camps are in May.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭AnotherView

Cycle Gran Canaria (in the wheel of Saxobank and Trek)

http://www.cyclegrancanaria.com/

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,719 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OP do not start repeat threads on the same subject

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 45 rappid

Gran Canaria for strenght and endurance training +Tenerife for long climbs.
    I'm doing it every year and I love it! :)

Advertisement