Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kid cycling in the city

Options
  • 04-11-2013 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hey folks,

Interested in some feedback from some cycling parents. (Sorry, I know most people have just lost interest. Anyway my 4 yr old has his first pedal bike. (Puky- great solid bike). Trouble is that now he can move over ground pretty well- 6-15 kms not tricky. So, problem is, I have to think about negotiating junctions with said child while I'm cycling alongside on my own bike- otherwise he's just too far ahead- unlike with the balance bike.

We live in Dublin 8, and I've just really started to be aware how terrible the cycling facilities are. Trying to get him to the Phoenix park, where I can let him go without any worries. In the meantime, we have to negotiate the SCR, Kilmainhaim, the N4 crossover, serious gradients up and down over the Liffey before the Park. There is a cycling llane on the SCR, but no way I can let him use it- so it's footpath and a gazillion junctions with the terror of falling into traffic. Never mind the threat to oldsters and others using the footpaths.

So thought the thing to do is get a tow bar to get him some place safe and then let him go solo. Taking the car takes the fun off it for me. We're just going for Ice cream, see the deer/ playground etc. Maybe commute to school with his own bike partway as well.

Trailgator is one brand- but I wonder whether cycling with young fella attached on busy busy dublin roads is possible with this. Been using bike mounted seats no prob for 2 years now, so we're not scardy cats. Anyone some good experience with these things and whether they will work in serious traffiic? Apols for being so long winded.

Comments

Advertisement