Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

import duty on groupsets

Options
  • 04-11-2013 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭

hi guys, just seeing tons of really cheap groupsets across the pond from usa.

so it seems customs has really clamped down making sure everyone is paying tax when carbon frames get brought in from china but just wondering is it the same story if i were to import a groupset from usa?

anyone here have experience importing groupset from usa?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

You'll find the rate of duty on the Taric database here http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/customs/customs_duties/tariff_aspects/customs_tariff/index_en.htm.

For the US, I think the duty rate is 4.7 per cent.

They'll charge duty on the total cost, i.e. item cost plus delivery charge. VAT will then be levied on that total amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭c50

You'll find the rate of duty on the Taric database here http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/customs/customs_duties/tariff_aspects/customs_tariff/index_en.htm.

For the US, I think the duty rate is 4.7 per cent.

They'll charge duty on the total cost, i.e. item cost plus delivery charge. VAT will then be levied on that total amount.

sorry question was as much on vat as it was on import duty.

im just saying, before customs really didnt care what your carbon frame was worth, theyd let it through without a second glance, now you always get caught for vat.

im wondering is it the same with groupsets or do they still allow them through without question?

its a very odd system, they almost criminalize/make you feel 2nd class when youve got to pay tax yet you actually cant pay in advance, i think its absolute madness

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

My experience is that they sometimes don't bother with smaller packages, even some over the limit. But I've paid duty and VAT on more expensive items. These include a frame and a crankset for example.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

My experience is that they sometimes don't bother with smaller packages, even some over the limit. But I've paid duty and VAT on more expensive items. These include a frame and a crankset for example.

As in you bought a frame in the US? Sorry for thread jumping, but out of interest why?
    Customs have been hit and miss for me, IT related stuff. Find most of the time I get hit though.

It was a frame I really wanted and only available in US.

My rule of thumb for buying stuff outside the EU is expect to pay the duty and VAT and budget accordingly.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,837 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I believe they are clamping down, so where people may have been "fortunate" in the past, Customs Duties and VAT are more likely to be collected on (non EU) imports going forward

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

HaHa could almost feel Beasty's blood pressure rising the way this was going....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Isn't the duty calculated on the vat inclusive price for added financial woe?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,837 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Duty is applied first, then VAT is applied to the duty-inclusive price

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭caadmium

It's not a groupset but I'm in the process of importing a frame from USA (bought on ebay) at the moment. I should be able to tell you tomorrow whether I had to pay duty and VAT. I have imported a wheelset in a similar way in the past and on that occasion I did have to pay the charges.

As a previous poster said, you have to assume you will have to pay duty and VAT and factor that into your calculations.

OP, as a matter of interest where are you seeing the good value in groupsets across the pond?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭cormpat

I bought a groupset in May from US & A & it got through without me having to pay the duty, but I also bought a wheel set in September & had to pay the duty on that...

The groupset was packed in a small box, while obviously the wheelset was in a considerably larger one. Does the box size have anything to do with it?

I've only been charged twice for items that I've bought from the States, however I think they only charge duty if it's over a certain threshold (but I'm not sure what that is).

Off topic, this is where I bought the groupset, he's good value & ships stuff quickly;

http://www.eurobikeparts.com/index.php

caadmium wrote: »

OP, as a matter of interest where are you seeing the good value in groupsets across the pond?

look it up on ebay! theres a guy selling full 6800 8pc for under 600 quid +50 postage. lets keep this to boards though shall we?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

c50 wrote: »
    look it up on ebay! theres a guy selling full 6800 8pc for under 600 quid +50 postage. lets keep this to boards though shall we?:rolleyes:

Check the recent post in the Bargain Alerts, German place selling for under 600 euro.....

Check the recent post in the Bargain Alerts, German place selling for under 600 euro.....

yes except as far as i can remember if its the same place, its 579 and you cant ACTUALLY buy it online in their shop

Edit: just checked bargain thread and it is in fact the vaney ck dutch crowd who havent ultegra 6800 listed in their online shop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭WillyFXP

So that's well over 700 quid after customs charges, not including shipping, why ship from the states when you can get it here http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k408/a106617/ultegra-6800-groupset-2x11-compact-50-34.html €699 + €2.95 delivery and no worries about customs duty

WillyFXP wrote: »
    So that's well over 700 quid after customs charges, not including shipping, why ship from the states when you can get it here http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k408/a106617/ultegra-6800-groupset-2x11-compact-50-34.html €699 + €2.95 delivery and no worries about customs duty

im not sure how you make that out as definitively better. my point is that the groupsets are well priced and the question i posed is would it be well priced by the time i get or will i get stuck with a big fee.
    ive seen much better prices around eu than €699 but €590 + €50 is the best before worrying about additionals.

im not sure how you make that out as definitively better. my point is that the groupsets are well priced and the question i posed is would it be well priced by the time i get or will i get stuck with a big fee.
    ive seen much better prices around eu than €699 but €590 + €50 is the best before worrying about additionals.

I'm struggling to understand this. If you have seen much better prices than €699 in the eu, how are you seeing €640 BEFORE import charges as a good deal? My first link was a quick look and you are right, there are better prices in the eu, so for the sake of €33 you could get buy from here http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/road-parts/transmission/groupsets-road-bike/shimano-ultegra-6800-groupset.html without the "maybe" of an extra €120 on top of the €640. As said before in this thread, it's very unlikely that you will get these through customs without being charged.

I'm struggling to understand this. If you have seen much better prices than €699 in the eu, how are you seeing €640 BEFORE import charges as a good deal? As said before in this thread, it's very unlikely that you will get these through customs without being charged.

mate, did you read the title of the thread? i wasnt the one who made the thread what it is, i was just weighing up my options seeing if i would or wouldnt be gotten for tax. as far as i can see if they mark value of a groupset as $20 it will more than likely get through without hassle.

all im saying is 699 is nothing fantastic, its good ive seen better prices

mate, did you read the title of the thread? i wasnt the one who made the thread what it is, i was just weighing up my options seeing if i would or wouldnt be gotten for tax. as far as i can see if they mark value of a groupset as $20 it will more than likely get through without hassle.

all im saying is 699 is nothing fantastic, its good ive seen better prices

I've edited my post since you quoted. Customs ain't thick, and they are getting strict. They will hold your parcel and will write you a nice letter asking you for proof of purchase price if they think its been declared under value. It's also illegal to ask a vendor to mark packages like this. I believe it's also against board rules to discuss ways in which customs charges can be avoided. I've tried to keep this post relevant to your thread topic, hope this helps. ;)

I've edited my post since you quoted. Customs ain't thick, and they are getting strict. They will hold your parcel and will write you a nice letter asking you for proof of purchase price if they think its been declared under value. It's also illegal to ask a vendor to mark packages like this. I believe it's also against board rules to discuss ways in which customs charges can be avoided. I've tried to keep this post relevant to your thread topic, hope this helps. ;)

it doesnt help in the least. are you annoyed it can be gotten cheaper than you have found it and as a result you're no longer the superman you were at halloween? stop trying to make me seem like im rule breaking because i havent. customs arent thick but i import everything and anything every week and they just cba with some stuff like yesterday it was 3 lightsets passed, i also got a finest pinarello asian edition before and no tax because they had without asking marked it low, however i got a lovely raw frame the last day which was charged.

like i say customs are not thick but neither am i, i have plenty of experience with this just not with groupsets or with american shipped goods.

please leave the conversation because youve nothing relevant to add, pretty sure your just winding up. reply again and ill just ignore because its a pointless discussion leading to a brick wall, report me for the imaginary rule breaking while youre at it, i bet itd make your night

• Advertisement

Lol wind yer neck in mate, I actually was trying to be helpful by pointing out you'd be 33 quid better off at best and that's just from a very quick price search. I said about the rule to make you aware of it, not to accuse you of it. Work away and get your groupset form your desired place of purchase, make no odds to me. Happy cycling :)

please leave the conversation because youve nothing relevant to add, pretty sure your just winding up.
    If you have a problem with a post or poster then report the post and leave the modding to the mods.

And to everyone, please keep the discussion civil

Thanks

Beasty

Frameset received today from USA with no duty or VAT owing.

Lucky you. I suspect c50 may not be as fortunate as you were.

Just to be clear here, it's still owing, but not collected. TBH, the last thing I would be doing is going on about it on an internet forum.

can we all agree on one thing? the americans blew this free trade agreement with their phone tapping...so many bike things i want...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

We know where you live ..........

7084_54_news_hub_6801_656x500.jpg

Thanks Beasty and RobFowl, you've gone and ruined it for me! How will I ever be able to enjoy riding that frame now knowing this?

Thanks Beasty and RobFowl, you've gone and ruined it for me! How will I ever be able to enjoy riding that frame now knowing this?

You've gotten one (temporarily) over on the Man. That's enough to enable enjoyment!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭sbs2010

Hi

Does anyone know if items manufactured in the EU but imported to Ireland from US are subject to duty and/or vat?

I'm thinking of Campagnolo which is made in Italy or Romania (I think).

Advertisement