Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Road Bike Questions

Options
  • 04-11-2013 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

Buying a new Road Bike and wondering if any regular club cyclist on here can tell me the difference, apart from obvious, on getting 8,9 & 10 ring cassettes?

I understand if I ever upgrade parts of the Group Set that I will need to make sure all comparable and that a 8 speed Shifter can only work on gears of 8 or less etc.

Do I really need the extra options, as cost difference is almost E150, for same frame weight?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭smurphy29

It just means you'll have slightly more two-teeth gaps in your gearing, but again this depends on what size cogs you put on it. Do you want a big 28-tooth ring on the bag for steep climbs? If you want to go 11-28 you've only got six cogs in between to work with to fill out the rest. If you're going 11-25, say, with 10 cogs, you've a lot fewer gaps in between.

I don't think it's a big deal and it's rare you'll find yourself not being able to find a comfortable gear, especially as there's a degree of overlap between the small ring and the big ring on the front anyway.

Advertisement