Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turbo Training HR & Cadence

Options
  • 04-11-2013 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have a Tacx Satori Turbo and I havent' used it very much. I've decided that I want to start doing two turbo sessions during the week but I have no cadence or HR meter. Is there a Turbo based product or should I buy a Garmin 500 with the HR & Cadence bundle?
    Alternatively, is there any Ant+ Iphone devices available?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

Can anyone recommend a bike computer that has cadence for rear wheel and HR?
    Or will a Garmin 500 do the job?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

The Garmin will do the job fine on the turbo once you disable GPS before you start, it's probably the best option for you since you'll hopefully get value from it on the road too.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

I'm trying Trainer Road at present (www.trainerroad.com). You can use it with the Garmin sensors. You need to get an Ant + USB stick for your computer to listen to your cadence/speed and heart rate (I got a Suunto one on Amazon for about €30. Once you do an initial fitness test, you basically choose a training programme, and the Trainer Road app tells you how hard to go. You just obey, which suits my training style fine. My only problem is it encourages me to increase my intensity, which I'm afraid might lead to injury (old joints). From reading another thread here, the app seems to do a good job of estimating power, but at a fraction of the cost of a power meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

Donie75 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have a Tacx Satori Turbo and I havent' used it very much. I've decided that I want to start doing two turbo sessions during the week but I have no cadence or HR meter. Is there a Turbo based product or should I buy a Garmin 500 with the HR & Cadence bundle?

If you have an iPhone 4S or a 5 you can buy Bluetooth 4.0 cadence (Wahoo Blue SC) and heart rate monitors (Polar H6), and there's no need for an ANT+ adapter hanging off the end of the phone. The Topeak Ridecase is a good option to mount your phone to the bike. It mounts securely to the stem top cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Donie75 wrote: »
    Hi,

What I did was I bought the Garmin 800 and got a cadence sensor and HR monitor and bought a spare wheel magnet that I attached onto my rear turbo trainer wheel.

I had an ant+ chip for my iPhone which also connected up to my HR monitor and cadence but it wasn't a success as it didn't calculate accurately how many calories I was burning so I don't use it anymore.

• Advertisement
Advertisement