Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterproof case for smartphone

Options
  • 04-11-2013 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭

I got a smartphone, I really don't want to use it on the bike, but would like to take it with me in case I need to make/receive a call. I went into a store and they are e40 for the bloody things! Has anyone bought one online for around the e10 mark? or would it be ok to use just a ziploc bag? I was told this would cause condensation and wet the phone....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I use a zip lock sandwich bag if it's wet/raining. Does the job perfectly and they're cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

That's what I was thinking, I used it for my other phone without a problem and even with my ipod I never had a problem.....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I got a smartphone, I really don't want to use it on the bike, but would like to take it with me in case I need to make/receive a call. I went into a store and they are e40 for the bloody things! Has anyone bought one online for around the e10 mark? or would it be ok to use just a ziploc bag? I was told this would cause condensation and wet the phone....
    The bit in bold....

Were you told this by the person trying to sell you a E40 case? How exactly would this cause condensation? Does your phone respire/perspire?

:D

Next time you're told rubbish like this, ask them to explain the science, and watch them struggle. Can be great craic altogether (for a loose definition of 'great craic', of course...). I had a conversation similar to that one in Curry's last Saturday when i heard the sales robot trying to convince a couple buying a new telly that a E60 HDMI cable (from Curry's of course) was way better than a E10 HDMI cable from eBay. Its not of course, but the techno-jargon-stumbling-about was a joy to see. The telly-buying couple certainly enjoyed it. ;)

I'd be interested to hear the up-selling explanation for the increase in humidity when a phone is popped into a sandwich bag...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

No, it was a friend of mine-an engineer, lol. Cos I told him I just used to use a ziploc bag in the states and he said that the humidity was worse here, I'm a worse eejit for even partly believing it....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Once the ziplock is sealed properly and there's no gaps or holes in the seal/bag there should be no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

You could buy a backup mobile for €10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Have always used a ziploc back and have never had any issues

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tacklemore

And if you want a cheaper alternative, use aldi ziploc bags

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Use two ziploc bags, to be sure to be sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

I got a smartphone, I really don't want to use it on the bike, but would like to take it with me in case I need to make/receive a call...
    On a side note, when I was looking for a Smurfsphone I bought a waterproof one in the first place, so don't have to worry about it getting wet. Before that I used a plastic bags and my old phone survived.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Did a 10 hour cycle in heavy rain with smartphone in jersey pocket. No mudguards.
    Just used two ziplocks. No issues ever.

If you want to be extra careful put in a few grains of rice/pasta in case of water ingress......

Advertisement