Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

net sea fishing

Options
  • 03-11-2013 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭

Is it illegal to fish with
    - 25 foot gill nets
    - 25 foot trammel nets
    if you throw back salmon or bass caught?
    i did email the fisheries board and just waiting to hear back from them

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭.red.

not sure if its legal or not but IMO, its morally wrong. any bass or salmon caught would be dead, its illegal then to keep them so they either get put into bags and brought ashore which is wrong, or they become crab and fish food, which is also wrong!

my favorite ray mark had nets out during the summer and the scumbag who put them out just left them there. not sure if he took what he wanted from it but it eventually washed up on the beach full of rotting ray, crabs and other fish. what a waste of fish and the mark never recovered after it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Morris_fe1s

.red. wrote: »
    not sure if its legal or not but IMO, its morally wrong. any bass or salmon caught would be dead, its illegal then to keep them so they either get put into bags and brought ashore which is wrong, or they become crab and fish food, which is also wrong!

my favorite ray mark had nets out during the summer and the scumbag who put them out just left them there. not sure if he took what he wanted from it but it eventually washed up on the beach full of rotting ray, crabs and other fish. what a waste of fish and the mark never recovered after it.

Many thanks for the lesson on morality, but thats not the point, nor is it the question being asked IMNSHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Why are you asking? It's certainly not angling.

Why are you asking? It's certainly not angling.

I wont entertain a troll in all due respect. I am not here to argue with strangers! But many thanks for the offer all the same.

I wont entertain a troll in all due respect. I am not here to argue with strangers! But many thanks for the offer all the same.

Sorry we seem to misunderstand each other. I was looking for the background to this question. Have you come across people netting or intend to net? I can assure you I am no troll . Your attitude seems strange to be honest. Is this an exercise in legal discussion, a request for advice on illegal netting, or looking for tips on netting?

• Advertisement

It depends on what you are asking about.

Here is the statute concerning Bass for instance -
    The effect of S.I. No. 230 of 2006 BASS (CONSERVATION OF STOCKS) Regulations (http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2006/en/si/0230.html) is to prohibit fishing for, landing, transhipping or having on board bass by an Irish sea-fishing boat and to prohibit the use of nets.

Part of the Salmon regulations here - http://www.fisheriesireland.ie/Notices/commercial-salmon-fishing-licences-2013.html

It depends on what you are asking about.

Here is the statute concerning Bass for instance -
    The effect of S.I. No. 230 of 2006 BASS (CONSERVATION OF STOCKS) Regulations (http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2006/en/si/0230.html) is to prohibit fishing for, landing, transhipping or having on board bass by an Irish sea-fishing boat and to prohibit the use of nets.

Part of the Salmon regulations here - http://www.fisheriesireland.ie/Notices/commercial-salmon-fishing-licences-2013.html

I am asking whether or not you need a license or if its absolutley illegal:
    (1) Sea fishing in Ireland with a gill/ trammel/ drift net
    (2) To catch cod, pollock - under 2 bass over 40cm length
    (3) For personal use and not for sale

The law on this is very complex. As an angler I don't have to worry too much about it as I don't net and rarely come across netting in this area. It might be best to wait until the Fisheries board comes back with the definitive reply and hopefully all the legislation.
    I assume the FE1 in your name refers to your being a law student - good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Mod: Angling in this forum is taken as being via rod and line. Advice on netting should be sought elsewhere. And a note to the OP, you might want to ease back on the tone of your responses if your seeking advice here on boards.

Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement