Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any apps/alternatives to group text?

Options
  • 03-11-2013 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

No doubt like a lot of biking groups, arranging exactly who will join for a particular session is dependant on group texts flying back and forth.

Has anyone come across any apps or on-line type solutions whereby you can check to see who (or how many) have committed to a particular and upcoming cycle session?

Pretty much everyone has a smartphone with some sort of data plan or wifi at home, so that a quick scan of somewhere on-line would help cyclists see who's game ball for tomorrow ...et. :)

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

MY son gets Viber messages (well I get the messages as the parent) about footie training and games.
    You can create a group in Viber. However not everyone has a smart fone and is tech enough savvy.
    IMO Group txt is the best way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I'm pretty sure you can send group text from a PC with the right software, that's how most volunteer responder groups e.g. Mountain Rescue teams are mobilized

• Registered Users Posts: 15,509 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Whatsapp - you can set up a group which sends a message to each person and when they reply it goes to everybody as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I'm sure you could make a facebook group for the club, and anyone who's attending the ride could post "yes" or something to that degree under a status with the details of the ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Would it not just be simpler to have a consistent start time & place and go with whoever turns up?

In my experience any ride with a "meet at" time will be delayed by the amount of time it takes everyone to lose the will to live waiting for stragglers. The last thing you need is a series of frantic begging texts from the clowns who are too hungover or disorganised to turn up vaguely on time.

"Leaving at" time + iron discipline FTW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

yeah probably the 'event' feature on Bookface might be the way to go? If you create an event (say 'Saturday morning spin, 9am' for example) and send invites to the members, then when they confirm you can see who's attending and I think everyone else that got an invite can also see who's attending as well.

Failing that...you might be on to something there and develop your own App and make a few quid out of it? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

There's an Android app ( I assume it has an Apple one to ) called Palringo, check it out could be very useful for groups ( and it's free!! )

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tacklemore

If it's sending SMS messages to people, you could use Mass Text. I use it to send group texts, as my Galaxy S4 automatically sends group txts as MMS and not everyone I'm texting can receive them.

Advertisement