Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Riis sells Saxo to Tinkoff ???

Options
  • 03-11-2013 10:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭

La Gazzetta reports this morning that Bjarne Riis has sold Saxo-Tinkoff to Oleg Tinkoff for 7 million euros ???

Ahead of revelations from Danish anti doping or Rasmussen on Danish TV tonight ???

Hope its not true tbh

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

La Gazzetta reports this morning that Bjarne Riis has sold Saxo-Tinkoff to Oleg Tinkoff for 7 million euros ???

Ahead of revelations from Danish anti doping or Rasmussen on Danish TV tonight ???

Hope its not true tbh

I thought Saxo had taken up the slack of Tinkoff leaving over Contador? Would have thought he would then go buy the team

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Hasn't Tinkoff put his money behind a different team altogether?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Tinkov denied it, said he's still in talks with a few different teams.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

There's been a good bit of uncertainty about sponsorship and ownership of the team next year. Nothing's certain til it's signed and sealed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I've mixed feelings about Riis, he's obviously a great motivator and seems an astute tactician with innovative training methods, however he's an unrepentant doper and as such the sport is better off without him.

Tinkov however is a sexist and obnoxious twat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭AnotherView

RobFowl wrote: »
    he's an unrepentant doper and as such the sport is better off without him.

Couldn't you say the same for Sean Kelly and many others in cycling ...some still in senior management roles on teams and some still riding......???

What cycling needs is not villains and heroes but a realistic facing up to and acceptance of the past ......

In fairness if I were a cyclist/DS and part of a past doping ring....I don't think I would admit it.......because I could be castigated and hung out to dry

Riis did admit doping to win the Tour and apologized.......
    As for allegations of doping as a manager...if indeed true ....is that a greater crime ???
    Tyler Hamilton was hardly a novice to doping and all riders had free will if there was a directive ....which there has never been any evidence so far off ....more a continuation of what people had already being doing prior to csc if true

I think Riis is a very good DS and cycling brain but I read his bio and ended up not being too gone on him as a man

However I am abit fed up of him being cast in a villains role and others others like Vaughters getting a free ride because they talk the talk on twitter and are media savvy

The biggest problems cycling has IMO are the double standards and inconsistencies in dealing with the whole sorry doping mess

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

The biggest problems cycling has IMO are the double standards and inconsistencies in dealing with the whole sorry doping mess

Disagree, it's the corruption and doping.

Simples.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Disagree it's the corruption and doping.

Simples.....

Vaughters et al are actively combating the problem also. Media savy is not a term that does their efforts justice. I'm with Rob here.

Disagree it's the corruption and doping.

Simples.....

The corruption and the doping are a given in recent years .....

Its how we deal with it....that needs addressing ......

otherwise its like saying we need to preach chastity once the young girl is up the duff

Like I said I am sick of heroes and villains ....and I don't think it helps

Like I said I am sick of heroes and villains

No heros and villans just right and wrong and how we deal with it.
    Some of us fight to get it in the open and dealt with transparently, some of us prefer to bury our heads in the sand.
    Can happily claim to have fought to get it out in the open......
    (with a few people am very proud to be assosciated with)

• Advertisement

Yes Rob.... I think you and others should be proud of your work to push transparency

But I am just afraid that more and more books like Michael Rasmussen are damaging the sport beyond repair as they have a drip drip effect

We need a total outing and then some sort of acceptance/forgiveness and a way of moving forward....( and that will have to include everyone in some way though it does not condone what they did or doping per see ) ......and then no one can make money from a doping tell all ..............but we can't have it until or unless people are willing to be more forgiving and accepting

Armstrong confession was a year ago and now again its all about doping in the media......People not in cycling that I know when asked about what they know about cycling will say two things

Doping
    Lance Armstrong .........it is hardly ever a good news story about the sport

Yes Rob.... I think you and others should be proud of your work to push transparency

But I am just afraid that more and more books like Michael Rasmussen are damaging the sport beyond repair as they have a drip drip effect

We need a total outing and then some sort of acceptance/forgiveness and a way of moving forward....( and that will have to include everyone in some way though it does not condone what they did or doping per see ) ......and then no one can make money from a doping tell all ..............but we can't have it until or unless people are willing to be more forgiving and accepting

Armstrong confession was a year ago and now again its all about doping in the media......People not in cycling that I know when asked about what they know about cycling will say two things

Doping

Might I suggest another sport for you to follow that is free from all these woes? Tennis, anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Doping

well for Irish cyclists its been all good news lately. From martin Irvine to Sam Bennett to Roche and Martin. Its been all good lately.

well for Irish cyclists its been all good news lately. From martin Irvine to Sam Bennett to Roche and Martin. Its been all good lately.

Yes....and I want it to continue that way

And I want Matt Brammier and Phil Lavery and all the others coming along to have jobs on the continent where they can earn a living and advance in the sport

For Irish pro cycling to grow.....world cycling needs to be strong and well supported ....no professional world teams in Ireland after all

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Yes....and I want it to continue that way

And I want Matt Brammier and Phil Lavery and all the others coming along to have jobs on the continent where they can earn a living and advance in the sport

For Irish pro cycling to grow.....world cycling needs to be strong and well supported ....no professional world teams in Ireland after all
    Irish success is a sign of less doping in cycling. The like of Mark Scanlon were unable to compete in the dark days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Irish success is a sign of less doping in cycling. The like of Mark Scanlon were unable to compete in the dark days.

I know Scanlon packed it because of the rampant doping but are Irish in general, predisposed to NOT dope?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Diarmuid wrote: »
    are Irish in general, predisposed to NOT dope?

Why would we be? We ain't any different to others in relation to temptation. Not saying any of our riders are but can we be 100% sure either that none of them are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

I know Scanlon packed it because of the rampant doping but are Irish in general, predisposed to NOT dope?

Absolutely not - there have been plenty of Irish athletes done for drug taking. I think the point being made is that certain countries have better established and more rigourous testing programmes - compare Ireland or France with Spain or Jamaica over the last decade or two. The increase in competitive athletes from Ireland could be interpreted as an effect of other countries implementing stronger anti-doping rules and reducing the number and effect of doping at the highest level of sport.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying that Ireland or France are perfect, or that anyone from Jamaica or Spain is a doper - I'm just throwing those countries out as broad examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Absolutely not - there have been plenty of Irish athletes done for drug taking. I think the point being made is that certain countries have better established and more rigourous testing programmes - compare Ireland or France with Spain or Jamaica over the last decade or two. The increase in competitive athletes from Ireland could be interpreted as an effect of other countries implementing stronger anti-doping rules and reducing the number and effect of doping at the highest level of sport.
    I'd agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,310 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Us and the Brits. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

No heros and villans just right and wrong and how we deal with it.
    Some of us fight to get it in the open and dealt with transparently, some of us prefer to bury our heads in the sand.
    Can happily claim to have fought to get it out in the open......
    (with a few people am very proud to be assosciated with)

I don't know who you are or what you have done. Can you explain about your fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

shutup wrote: »
    I don't know who you are or what you have done. Can you explain about your fight.

He's an activist.... :cool:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,711 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

He's an activist.... :cool:
    I've heard him called a few other things in recent times also ...:pac:

No ;)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,711 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Actually to be a little more helpful here (we don't want to put off non-regulars do we;)) Rob was the person that initiated the process that resulted in CI turning down Pat McQuaid's request for nomination for the UCI Prsidency, and has been a strong campaigner against the scourge of doping in the sport for a long time

A quick search using the terms "McQuaid", "Switzerland", "Morocco", "Thailand" and "dope" will probably reveal a lot more ....

The minutes of the 2012 CI AGM give some details.

www.cyclingireland.ie/Documents/Minutes_AGM_2012_V1.aspx

33. Close of Meeting.
    As all the business of the AGM had been covered the President formally closed the AGM thanking everyone for their attendance and wishing them a safe drive home. Nevertheless he was aware that there were members who wished to discuss the USADA report and the credibility of the leadership of the UCI as an item at the AGM. Legal advice had confirmed that this was not permissible under the Articles as it was not on the agenda. However the President was prepared to facilitate a discussion outside of the AGM.
    Annex 1. Discussion on the USADA report with respect to the credibility of the UCI in Anti Doping Matters.
    The discussion was initiated by the CI Medical Officer who gave a detailed account of his concerns regarding the leadership of the UCI and its apparent lack of action over many years in respect of various anti doping matters which had come to light. The most recent and far reaching being the USADA report. Several members contributed to the discussion along the same lines. Other members spoke on the need to wait for the outcome of the forthcoming legal case involving Paul Kimmage and the UCI and also the report of the independent committee to be set up by the UCI to look at the whole question of the UCI and it’s involvement in doping affairs over many years.
    Following the various comments the President invited CI MO to sum up which he did and requested that the Board of CI call an EGM to consider a vote of no confidence in Pat McQuaid. The President gave an undertaken that the Board would hold an EGM on the matter if it deemed it appropriate and pointing out that an EGM could also be requested by members as per clause 22 of the Articles.

Of those who spoke at that meeting in Oct 2012 at least 5 are posters here.

More of a commercially motivated attack, some would say!

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »

For asking a question and being interested in knowing more about the sport ???

Why I brought up the whole heroes and villains because of Vaughters and Garmin being touted as doing no wrong while they continue to tout their anti doping credentials....But Vaughters knew about Hesjedal's doping when he signed him and when he won the Giro he did not do it as a past doper .....or indeed not at all (an ex cyclist as sacked for doping ??? )

The outraged spare their derision for the few and not the ones they have decided are anti doping.......and how we are supposed to have confidence in this I am sure I don't know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭le petit braquet

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    For asking a question and being interested in knowing more about the sport ???

I think this is Lusk_Doyle's parody of the McQuaid supporters' questioning of the motives of anyone who dared oppose Pat as RobFowl did. It was not a dig at shutup.

Advertisement