Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childs bike parts....Where to source decent gear?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭reallyunique

If you adjust the brakes fairly close and pull in the levers they should be capable of stopping in the sort of distance a child would expect. New pads could help too as the cheap ones can be a bit crap.
    Just noticed how cheap those levers look in the photo :( Dont see any adjusters on 'em at all. The callipers will most likely do the job so start with a lever change.

You can get decent parts for kids bikes. The simplest way to upgrade is probably to look as whatever Isla bikes is offering and source the parts they use from fleabay etc or even ring them and see if you can get a "replacement" set (bit devious but no real harm).

Or try some BMX levers. Even if they don't work you can sell them on, probably.

If that fails try to get a refund from Halfords.

Finally, swallow your pride and take it to a shop that sells kids bikes, let your daughter find one that she can stop on and ask for a price on fitting those brakes to her bike. Actually, maybe start with this!

Please don't sell the current ones on fleabay as it's REALLY bad karma :)
    Best of luck, hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I had seen isla bikes before yesterday, they look like a great bike for child......Even if it does not have fancy graphics or a baby carrier :-)

I did see that that Isla bikes sell parts so I might ring them tomorrow if my visit to the LBS does not go well.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

Right IMO the problem lies with the wheel rim, on that bike the rim appears to be painted.Take the paint off the braking surface with some sand paper and the braking will be noticably better!

It will take a while but it should work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Good catch with the rim being painted, I will have a bash at taking it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Since you bought it yesterday, you should return it, not start sanding it. Those bikes also have the doll/teddy seat also fixed on the rear brake also, and the mudguard. They also have no mounts for v brakes. Its more of a toy than a bike. I know the kids love this kinda pink, girlie stuff but consider if you want to pass the bike on yo a younger brother it will be a problem. Something gender neutral might be a better buy in the long run.

Something like this is aluminum (lighter) and better built. http://www.fitzcycles.ie/p/1046/cuda-blox its not as good as the isla but its half the price.

http://www.islabikes.co.uk/bike_pages/cnoc14.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement