Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple OS X 10.5.8 too old for Garmin now

Options
  • 02-11-2013 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭

Just thought I'd post this info for anyone else encountering problems between their mac and Garmin devices.

I created a route on the Garmin Connect site to send to my edge 800, usually a simple thing to do, but this time I got an Error message saying my communication plugins were out of date.

Tried to install the new plugin but no luck, it wouldn't install.
    I tried over and over - no luck.

Seems that for the new plugin to install (and recognise my Garmin edge) I needed to have OS X 10.6, which I didn't.
    I've an imac which I've been able to upgrade for free for the last 4 years, I'm now at 10.5.8, which it seems is the end of the line for free upgrades.

Looked online and saw I have to buy an upgrade called Snow Leopard which will give 10.6.
    I went into the Apple store in Dublin today, but they don't sell the upgrade disc in store, you have to buy it online or call Apple in Cork (1850 946 191) and have them send you the disc.

It's all to do with the recent release of OS X 10.9 (Maverick), everything has dropped down a level and a lot of things which used to be compatible with 10.5.8 now aren't.

If you don't know what OS X system your mac is running, click the apple top left of your screen, then click 'About this Mac'.
    Just thought I'd post this because a lot of people use Garmin devices on here, and this might save an hour of wondering why the new plugin won't install.
    :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

I dont use Garmin Connect but assuming the Garmin still appears as a device when you plug it in to the mac, you could save your course onto the mac first and then copy it into the Courses folder on the Garmin. Thats how I've copied courses to a garmin in the past.

If you do need to upgrade to Snow Leopard, you should be able to pick to a copy on adverts or donedeal.
    Here's a current ad

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

OSX v10.9 is a free upgrade for all Apple hardware that'll support it, which is hardware dating back as far as 2008 or so as far as I know. Worth checking the Apple site for details.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

doozerie wrote: »
    OSX v10.9 is a free upgrade for all Apple hardware that'll support it, which is hardware dating back as far as 2008 or so as far as I know. Worth checking the Apple site for details.

I'm fairly certain that Maverick is just an update for the Snow Leopard OSX, not for any previous versions. So to get Maverick, the op would have to purchase Snow Leopard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    I'm fairly certain that Maverick is just an update for the Snow Leopard OSX, not for any previous versions. So to get Maverick, the op would have to purchase Snow Leopard.

Yeah, you're right, details are here. I thought they allowed you to skip Snow Leopard but I was wrong. That link also lists hardware that is supported for the upgrade, some of which goes back to mid-2007.

Pain in the neck that you can buy the Snow Leopard upgrade on DVD only too. Apple are clearly keen to get as many people to move to Mavericks as possible, but they are not breaking their hearts to make that any easier for their customers.

Advertisement