Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike rack at holles street hospital

Options
  • 31-10-2013 9:29pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭

Hello

Herself is having a baby soon and we live near holles street hospital.

Instead of paying for parking etc I'm going to drive herself in, drop her off and then drive home and cycle back in.

Does anyone know if there is a safe bike rack in holles street or near holles street ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Hello

Instead of paying for parking etc I'm going to drive herself in, drop her off and then drive home and cycle back in.

Does anyone know if there is a safe bike rack in holles street or near holles street ?

Is there bike rack around the corner on merrion square opposite the institute of estate agents on the way up towards baggot street or is that a DB point?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Is there bike rack around the corner on merrion square opposite the institute of estate agents on the way up towards baggot street or is that a DB point?

Dublin Bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

There is a staff carpark at the back of the hospital, access is via an archway on the right hand side of the main entrance, I am sure a bike could be securely locked up some where in there.

Best of luck with the new addition to the family and enjoy the sleepless nights ahead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

There is a staff carpark at the back of the hospital, access is via an archway on the right hand side of the main entrance, I am sure a bike could be securely locked up some where in there.

Best of luck with the new addition to the family and enjoy the sleepless nights ahead.

Thanks ; ) I was in the hospital tonight and know that archway. The arch way was totally locked tonight. But might be ok during the day. Am in again on Monday and will scope it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

I used the bike rack opposite the hospital at Merrion Square, was there for a few hours and bike was ok.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

How odd that there seems to be no map of Corpo bike racks in Dublin.
    And odd too that there's no bicycle parking opposite the National Gallery.
    (I was reading yesterday that bicycle racks near a café mean a significant boost in its customer numbers. If I were running a café, I'd be pleading for a bike rack outside.)
    Edit: there seems to be a parking space for bicycles inside the back gate of Trinity, near the security gate.

nak wrote: »
    I used the back rack opposite the hospital at Merrion Square, was there for a few hours and bike was ok.

thanks, must check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Hello

Suppose she has the baby before you get back:eek:

that will be the end of cycling for you.......

for ever..

(something like.....Remember when we were having our first baby and you went off cycling!!)

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Suppose she has the baby before you get back:eek:

that will be the end of cycling for you.......

for ever..

(something like.....Remember when we were having our first baby and you went off cycling!!)

Ive told her already that she needs to stall until im back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,746 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

We got a taxi in on our two occasions, but when I was visiting I always locked the bike on Merrion Square. Never had any trouble, but if you're in for twenty hours or so (it happens, especially with first children), it might be a different story. Use good locks, anyway, wherever you park in public.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭usersame

There's a staff bike shed that's very secure, ask the reception for the code, they mightn't give it to you tho, aside from that you could lock it in the carpark near the security portacabin

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Stollaire

I'm in the same boat myself.

When I cycle down for appointments etc I usually lock it to the railing across the road from the antenatal ward entrance (the archway).
    I haven't seen any signs prohibiting bike locking there. And there appears to be a number of bikes locked there every day. Possibly staff as I see the same bikes every time.
    But, I never really felt that the bike was safe in that area.

So like you I'm going scope the inside car park for something to lock to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭what_traffic

How odd that there seems to be no map of Corpo bike racks in Dublin.
    And odd too that there's no bicycle parking opposite the National Gallery.
    (I was reading yesterday that bicycle racks near a café mean a significant boost in its customer numbers. If I were running a café, I'd be pleading for a bike rack outside.)
    Edit: there seems to be a parking space for bicycles inside the back gate of Trinity, near the security gate.

Off topic. Do you have a link for that article/paper you were reading? Might be a useful one for cyclists to give to their local cafe to get bike parking installed (via relevant local authority that is).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭C3PO

Hello

Your partner is in labour and you drop her to the door of Holles Street and drive home to return later on your bike ........ don't think I'd have got away with that!!!
    Hope everything goes well!

C3PO wrote: »
    Your partner is in labour and you drop her to the door of Holles Street and drive home to return later on your bike ........ don't think I'd have got away with that!!!

yeah and she agreed with it, so all good.

Off topic. Do you have a link for that article/paper you were reading? Might be a useful one for cyclists to give to their local cafe to get bike parking installed (via relevant local authority that is).

I don't *think* it was this
    http://bikeportland.org/2012/07/06/study-shows-biking-customers-spend-more-74357
    but it might have been. Or maybe this:

http://bikeportland.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/PDX_Bike_Corral_Study.pdf
    benefits associated with the placement of corrals (bike racks) adjacent to their establishment included:
    Increased numbers of customers
    Improved sidewalk/cafe seating environment for customers
    Improved visibility of the business from the street.
    yeah and she agreed with it, so all good.

Hah. She did then. How she feels when actually in labour is another question.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

How she feels when actually in labour is another question.

Well on my first I got a smack for swerving to avoid a pothole (in the car) as it might have delayed us by a milisecond getting there........

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

C3PO wrote: »
    I left the Rotunda to get myself a breakfast and my daughter was born while I was stuffing my face with bacon and eggs over in The Kingfisher! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I left the Rotunda to get myself a breakfast and my daughter was born while I was stuffing my face with bacon and eggs over in The Kingfisher! :o
    I was sent off to have some food as she was only 4cm so she'd be "at least 4 or 5 hours yet". I arrived back an hour later to a very stressed wife and the baby arrived literally seconds later.

OP, forget about the bike. What if you fall under a truck on the way back in? And if you're too mean to pay for parking while awaiting the birth of your child..... C'mon now

Daroxtar wrote: »
    And if you're too mean to pay for parking while awaiting the birth of your child..... C'mon now
    Mind you, if the labour is very protracted, you don't want to be running out to feed the meter all the time either.

Getting a taxi in seemed and still seems the easiest option to me.

• Advertisement

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Mind you, if the labour is very protracted, you don't want to be running out to feed the meter all the time either.

Qu'est que c'est ce "running out to the meter"? With Payzone you pay on your phone without moving from where you are. Though a taxi does sound more sensible, if possible (not always practical if waters are breaking…)

Ah, I had to do some running out to the meter outside Holles Street in 2012 collecting wife and child. I wasn't aware of phone-based methods of payment. I haven't kept up, I have to say. Even my desktop at home is ten years old.

tomasrojo wrote: »

Mount Carmel. For all your logistical worries...

RobFowl wrote: »
    Well on my first I got a smack for swerving to avoid a pothole (in the car) as it might have delayed us by a milisecond getting there........

Better that than hitting the pothole and having to call little Johnny "Volvo XC90" or whatever!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Just keep 20 odd yoyos in changes in the car ready for the day. Having to pop out for a minute to feed the meter isn't going to cause any issues. I had 3 kids born in Holles street and it was never an issue.

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Better that than hitting the pothole and having to call little Johnny "Volvo XC90" or whatever!?!

Or Beetle. Beetle O'Connor, of that ilk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

You do realise that this will never leave you. In 20/30/40 years time, it will get brought up whenever it will confer advantage...

Daroxtar wrote: »
    I was sent off to have some food as she was only 4cm so she'd be "at least 4 or 5 hours yet". I arrived back an hour later to a very stressed wife and the baby arrived literally seconds later.

OP, forget about the bike. What if you fall under a truck on the way back in? And if you're too mean to pay for parking while awaiting the birth of your child..... C'mon now

What if I fall under a truck cycling to work tomorrow ?
    What if someone knocks me down whilst crossing the road on Wednesday ?

etc etc ; )

Inquitus wrote: »
    Just keep 20 odd yoyos in changes in the car ready for the day. Having to pop out for a minute to feed the meter isn't going to cause any issues. I had 3 kids born in Holles street and it was never an issue.

Or park it in the nearby multi story.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

If you live near by isn't a Dublin Bike a better option?

Drive and and park. Then get someone to collect the car for you.

Advertisement