Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rasmussen outs Hesjedal

Options
  • 30-10-2013 9:05pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭

As it says on the tin..
    The chicken outed Ryder Hesjedal who's now admitted doping a long long time ago in a galaxy far far away.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Linky: http://globalnews.ca/news/934686/danish-pro-cyclist-makes-doping-claims-against-hesjedal/

EDIT: Just noticed, that's about some other 2012 Giro d'Italia winner called Ryan Hesjedal. My bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

"when he joined the US Postal System Service team"

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

Joacquim Rodriquez can't be feeling too happy...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Russman

Super for him that his performances improved when he stopped, around about the same time "cycling changed".

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Feck it anyway.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

Horrible to see, but the more past dopers that are named and shamed the better. The current generation needs to know theres no getting away with it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Slo_Rida

Horrible to see, but the more past dopers that are named and shamed the better. The current generation needs to know theres no getting away with it anymore.

But get away with it is exactly what Ryder did. Grand tour to his name now and all.
    And on it goes.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Nobody's saying he doped to win the Giro

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

letape wrote: »
    Joacquim Rodriquez can't be feeling too happy...

Why?

Nobody's saying he doped to win the Giro

Well, he doped......and he won the Giro. Studies show doping can improve your ability for many years after you stop.
    Oh but you're right sure he said it, I only did it this one time and stopped straight away, so I'm not REALLY a doper. Oh and Michael made me do it.

Nobody's saying he didn't dope to win it either.

• Advertisement

Slo_Rida wrote: »

If this gets me into trouble on boards I'll throw my hat at it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

a. Yes they are.
    b. I'd think about the logical implications of that kind of assertion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭Macy0161

They'd be better splitting samples into 4 or 5, storing some, and retro testing them when techniques improve, rather than this selective outing though. Re test samples 6 year later just before the statute of limitations expires.

Fair play to Ryder in one respect, he was ahead of the game stopping in 2003, rather than 2006 when most people stopped...

logical implications.

No idea what you're getting at, honestly.

To clear up any doubt, I'm saying that his doping helped him win the Giro, even though it has been stated that he stopped in 2003.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,601 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

To clear up any doubt, I'm saying that his doping helped him win the Giro, even though it has been stated that he stopped in 2003.
    The point is that you are not in possession of enough facts/evidence to make such a claim. If you said it may have helped him win, that may not be an unreasonable statement to make

Beasty wrote: »
    The point is that you are not in possession of enough facts/evidence to make such a claim. If you said it may have helped him win, that may not be an unreasonable statement to make

Right, I know the rules here, fair enough.

I've always had my own theory on the benefits of doping after you stop and this seems to show evidence of it:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-24730151
    I think muscle memory is the key point.
    This really belongs in a different thread so apologies for the hijacking.

Right, I know the rules here, fair enough.

I've always had my own theory on the benefits of doping after you stop and this seems to show evidence of it:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-24730151
    I think muscle memory is the key point.
    This really belongs in a different thread so apologies for the hijacking.

Some nine years later?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Is it not time for cycling to bring in much more serious punishments that will in reality be self policing ie if any member of a team is found guilty of doping the whole team is thrown out of the race and banned from that race the following year.

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Some nine years later?!?

""If it is sufficient to build muscle mass, I think it would be sufficient to give you this long term effect. I think it could last 10 years but I don't have the data to back that up. It would be my speculation yes," he said".

It always made sense to me in theory:
    You're body is being powered to train more/harder than it was naturally meant to be able to. So it alters the makeup of the muscles in order to build them up. The built up-edness may go but the makeup remains changed thus allowing you to re-train to that level again without the use of drugs.

Is it not time for cycling to bring in much more serious punishments that will in reality be self policing ie if any member of a team is found guilty of doping the whole team is thrown out of the race and banned from that race the following year.

The paper I referenced above is hinting that lifetime bans are needed if you dope because the benefits of doping last years, maybe a decade after you stop.

• Advertisement

No idea what you're getting at, honestly.

Your're saying his doping in 2003 helped him win the Giro in 2012?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

If this gets me into trouble on boards I'll throw my hat at it.

At boards? Good luck with that.

Will there be any consequences as a result of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

The paper I referenced above is hinting that lifetime bans are needed if you dope because the benefits of doping last years, maybe a decade after you stop.

i think there are legal issues doing that. Wasn't there a British sprinter given a lifetime ban from the olympics but managed to challenge this through the courts.

godtabh wrote: »

Will there be any consequences as a result of this?

WOW. What are you like.

Your're saying his doping in 2003 helped him win the Giro in 2012?

Well Vlad, I had a mars bar in 2003 and I did Milan San Remo in 2012...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Russman

Other than he knew it was wrong, and has felt bad about it ever since, does he say what made him stop back in 2003 or whenever he did ? That'd be an interesting question to put to him.

Maybe it was just that everyone else stopped too :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

WOW. What are you like.

Things are changing in cycling. A dopper has admitted doping. Ban him

• Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

godtabh wrote: »
    Things are changing in cycling. A dopper has admitted doping. Ban him
    I think Slo Rida thought you meant for himself. :pac:

Thanks Lumen, I thought godtabh was calling for lifetime ban for me.
    :o

• Advertisement

Thanks Lumen, I thought godtabh was calling for lifetime ban for me.
    :o

Well at the very least your thanked posts and post total should not count towards your star rating for two years!

Advertisement