Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cycling in crosswinds vid

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I liked the bit where the guy was struggling to put his bike on the ground!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Featherbeds last Sunday wasn't unlike that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

Ok that video plus torrential rain plus a hailstorm like no other and you've got a bit of what the Featherbeds was like on Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭dedocdude

ah this old classic getting its once a year post

it is pretty extreme though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

I was waiting for something like this to happen..disappointing..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Did nobody have a vid of the Featherbeds on Sunday? Thought I saw someone with a Go Pro on their head.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭c50

this video brings me to a relevant topic: should a4's be aloud race anything more than 35mm deep wheels? i say no, they shouldnt

Probably not.
    They shouldnt be allowed any more then 5 gears either I mean its too tricky with all those deep wheels and all that changing gear lark.

FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

c50 wrote: »
    this video brings me to a relevant topic: should a4's be aloud race anything more than 35mm deep wheels? i say no, they shouldnt

I disagree. I'm an a4. I have 50s and I'm perfectly capable of handling my bike in the wind.

bcmf wrote: »
    Probably not.
    They shouldnt be allowed any more then 5 gears either I mean its too tricky with all those deep wheels and all that changing gear lark.

FFS.

the amount of crashes ive seen watching a4 races because the majority dont know how to fend off any cross-breeze...not to mention cross winds.

FFS? , signed yours truly a solid a4 since its irish setup back in 08' i guess? correct if im wrong

• Advertisement

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    I disagree. I'm an a4. I have 50s and I'm perfectly capable of handling my bike in the wind.

if you say so then fair enough but you cant speak for everyone who thinks they can, the majority cant and thats not an unfair comment

FFS? , signed yours truly a solid a4 since its irish setup back in 08' i guess? correct if im wrong

That has nothing to do with it. That's ability to place in points and get upgraded.

What about pro race crashes? Much more there.

Start a new thread on your A4 bashing.

if you say so then fair enough but you cant speak for everyone who thinks they can, the majority cant and thats not an unfair comment

What accredited research is your commentary based on?

Start a new thread on your A4 bashing.

oh i can feel the cold shoulder. and bashing? well better me bashing a4's than the a4's making other a4's bash the floor.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,344 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

the majority cant and thats not an unfair comment
    Source?

I think we should do this by weight - if you have the ballast you can have the wheels - I'll then be able to put the disc wheels on next year ...

oh i can feel the cold shoulder. and bashing? well better me bashing a4's than the a4's making other a4's bash the floor.

I'm fairly certain that there has been much more crashes in A3 races and above this year when compared to A4.

Beasty wrote: »
    Source?

I think we should do this by weight - if you have the ballast you can have the wheels - I'll then be able to put the disc wheels on next year ...

Front and back!

What accredited research is your commentary based on?

3x the amount of crashes in a4 races in a day when compared to a3 and a2/a1 race, seeing one too many concussions, broken fingers, ribs, broken out teeth, knee caps poking out, ambulances arriving and cancellations of a2/a1 and a3 race as a result of bad ambulance-rescuing a4 crashes from the earlier race (happened me twice in the summer that i had been sent home because earlier a4 crash). thats pretty much it really

and as goes more crashes a3. i can only talk really for the racing i done this season which was around munster only as wasnt racing as much and say it was a tiny fraction in comparison to a4.

i observed a few races this year as well, had been out of action for a while. one i watched that comes to mind was 2 stages of kanturk 3 day, the amount of a4's that came back battered, i had not seen one a3 come back cut over the 2 days...

3x the amount of crashes in a4 races in a day when compared to a3 and a2/a1 race, seeing one too many concussions, broken fingers, ribs, broken out teeth, knee caps poking out, ambulances arriving and cancellations of a2/a1 and a3 race as a result of bad ambulance-rescuing a4 crashes from the earlier race (happened me twice in the summer that i had been sent home because earlier a4 crash). thats pretty much it really

So no actual verifiable source then?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,344 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Front and back!
    Yep!!!

Do remember doing The Leinster 10m TT in 40kph or so crosswind last year with disc on the back and 808 on the front and setting my PB - got to admit the smaller guys struggled that day, but some of us of larger proportions set some decent times

So no actual verifiable source then?

what, you believe im lying just so i can be right?

im afraid stats arent released on this...

i only posed the topic and gave my opinion. people get butthurt from opinions awful fast around here...:rolleyes:

what, you believe im lying just so i can be right?

im afraid stats arent released on this...

i only posed the topic and gave my opinion. people get butthurt from opinions awful fast around here...:rolleyes:

No, no. Not hurt. I just wanted to understand the reason / logic behind the opinion is all.

Just to be clear, if someone expresses an opinion don't be surprised if someone else challenges it. After all this is a discussion forum;)

No, no. Not hurt. I just wanted to understand the reason / logic behind the opinion is all.

its more reason than logic. reason being ive seen so much more crashes a4 than the rest of races held amounted although that shouldnt be the case. its only really reflecting on the fact that most of them have been at it a year or two, not that theyre incapable.

its that extra skill of braking, cornering, accelerating, focussing people get over years, i find it amusing to go for a spin with vets and a1 riders, watching guys 5ft 5" bunnyhop traffic islands because they fell confident they dont have to swerve.

some of the a4's down in cork here are powerhouses and i imagine some output more watts than guys of similar weight to them up the ranks but they lack the skills of racing from not being racing through the years. if they had the extra guile- when to go, where to be in the bunch at a set time, accelerating out of corners, how much exactly to apply the brakes, even when to eat- thats what makes a rider. these lines just to sum up im not bashing down, just saying theres no real need for deeps in a4 when they do cause crashes and i have seen with my own eyes, guys incapable of handing them and taking down 5/6/7 riders being swept across the road in nothing more than moderate winds

The worst crash I have seen was this year when on the last day of the day licence's a race that was full of A3 bangers under different names opened up the sprint and managed to write off a car and a couple of bikes.
    Maybe A3's shouldnt open up sprints in A4 races!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Can't believe nobody commented on the fonts and soundtrack in that video. Sweet Jesus.

The worst crash I have seen was this year when on the last day of the day licence's a race that was full of A3 bangers under different names opened up the sprint and managed to write off a car and a couple of bikes.
    Maybe A3's shouldn't open up sprints in A4 races!?!

i never claimed a3's are great riders and if thats supposed to be personal im a2. im just saying a4's are the worst in general for crashes. also youve just quoted one single incident, thats hardly fair game that a bunch of eejits went sprinting and therefore hail, hail a3's are the worst for crashes, basing your judgement on one single crash.

the worst crash i saw of recent was a 4 crash- cracked helmets and riders picking themselves otu of the ditch but like that isnt a fair representation of all a4 riders. oh, and it wasn't caused by deep rims either you'll be pleased to know!!

lusk doyle was doing the a4's a great representation but that point is near invalid..

Ah you must be right so.
    I fed the troll enough for tonight.
    Thanks for the insightful views and opinions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Featherbeds last Sunday wasn't unlike that :)

How's are the legs and arms after that sandblasting session Dermot? Was thinking of you with only a jersey and shorts in those conditions. I was very glad of my 4 layers crossing there.

Advertisement