Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

insurance query

Options
  • 29-10-2013 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭

Morning all,

Just a quick one. A mate of mine got a new Bike a couple of weeks Shop. First time out, he got clipped by a car. Now he was okish. Couple of broken ribs, plenty of road rash and few cuts etc. Now he has no problem getting back on the bike but his wife is worried that what would happen if it was more serious. The car didn't stop so no details Etc.
    She said that if he had died as of crash insurance would Pay out etc but if he broke legs or worse what would happen.

As a keen cyclist myself, I didn't know the answer to this. Is there some sorry of insurance out there for this.

Cheers
    d

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

A personal accident policy is the thing to look into. This type of policy provides cover in the case of accidental breakage of limbs, accidental loss of sight etc.

Suggest your friend contacts an insurance broker who will know which companies provide this cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭get on your bike

Layinghen wrote: »
    A personal accident policy is the thing to look into. This type of policy provides cover in the case of accidental breakage of limbs, accidental loss of sight etc.

Suggest your friend contacts an insurance broker who will know which companies provide this cover.
    Does being a member of CI cover anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Gosh wouldn't have a clue. I am not a cyclist just an oulwan whose only outdoor life is walking a Jack Russell :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

Does being a member of CI cover anything?

yes it does. When out training. Go to their website and see what you get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

ford2600 wrote: »
    + Gardai. It's a hit and run. If he can describe the car make, model and colour, they might be able to spot it on CCTV somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

No Pants wrote: »
    + Gardai. It's a hit and run. If he can describe the car make, model and colour, they might be able to spot it on CCTV somewhere.

In order to reduce risk of fraudulent claims, the period in which accident had to be notified to Gardai was reduced. .i.e. if accident not notified to Gardai within time period you can't make a claim under MIBI.

The "new" period is quite short
    think this is correct
    3.13 Any accident giving rise to a claim made to the MIBI shall be reported by
    the claimant to An Garda Síochána within two days of the event or as
    soon as the claimant reasonably could.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

ford2600 wrote: »
    In order to reduce risk of fraudulent claims, the period in which accident had to be notified to Gardai was reduced. .i.e. if accident not notified to Gardai within time period you can't make a claim under MIBI.

The "new" period is quite short
    think this is correct
    3.13 Any accident giving rise to a claim made to the MIBI shall be reported by
    the claimant to An Garda Síochána within two days of the event or as
    soon as the claimant reasonably could.

Good point - but anyone involved in an accident such as a hit & run should be reporting the accident to the Gardaí as a matter of course, regardless of whether they had the intention or not of making a claim. If you get hit, then get yourself down to the Garda station either that day or if you can't, then the next day.

Good point - but anyone involved in an accident such as a hit & run should be reporting the accident to the Gardaí as a matter of course, regardless of whether they had the intention or not of making a claim. If you get hit, then get yourself down to the Garda station either that day or if you can't, then the next day.
    Cheers for replies. What happens if you bomb downa Hill with no car involved and you come off and damage yourself up. Any insurance re this. Never really thought about it till today but have to say it's got Me thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Cheers for replies. What happens if you bomb downa Hill with no car involved and you come off and damage yourself up. Any insurance re this. Never really thought about it till today but have to say it's got Me thinking.
    Regular personal accident insurance I would think.

No Pants wrote: »
    Regular personal accident insurance I would think.
    Cheers. Just as a matter of interest, do many on here have any such insurance policy purely Cycling related?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Cheers. Just as a matter of interest, do many on here have any such insurance policy purely Cycling related?

It's comes with the ci licence, so yes. Many here have it.

Advertisement