Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kenmare Cycle

Options
  • 28-10-2013 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭

I am heading down to Kenmare in the morning with my wife and kids for 5 nights. I am bringing my bike with me but I reckon that I will be limited with time so will probably look to get in a couple of 40/50 km spins in. Was just wondering if anybody has any suggestions ? Would like to get some climbing in on the spins. All suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Kenmare is a great place to start spins from, and there won't be any problem finding some climbs, you are basically surrounded by mountains.
    Head up to Molls gap, left at the top brings you to sneem and left on leaving the village, back along the Kenmare road to where you started.
    Another gem is to head over the bridge to the Caha pass, towards glengarriff, and back over again. Tough but spectacular.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭romperstomper

I am heading down to Kenmare in the morning with my wife and kids for 5 nights. I am bringing my bike with me but I reckon that I will be limited with time so will probably look to get in a couple of 40/50 km spins in. Was just wondering if anybody has any suggestions ? Would like to get some climbing in on the spins. All suggestions appreciated.

two weeks ago i was there staying in the park. this is a fabulous 60k:

http://app.strava.com/activities/88746515

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Konkers

Kenmare is a great spot. Spent a week there this summer.

Did this spin one morning (90k) takes in molls gap, gap of Dunlop (blasted iphone...... Dunloe obviously) and ballaghbeama pass. Stunning.....
    https://www.strava.com/activities/71723276

This is the route referred to by funnights above 56ks.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/69523826

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Kenmare is a great place to start spins from, and there won't be any problem finding some climbs, you are basically surrounded by mountains.
    Head up to Molls gap, left at the top brings you to sneem and left on leaving the village, back along the Kenmare road to where you started.
    Another gem is to head over the bridge to the Caha pass, towards glengarriff, and back over again. Tough but spectacular.

both of these are smashing rides. pity you can't get out for a longer one, here is one we did in april, which was a savage ride, healy pass once, and caha pass twice.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/294506943

healy is the pick of the limbs there, best done north to south. would highly recommend looking up the lost sheep triathlon cycle route and following that, bit longer than you asked for at 80k, but a really great spin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

If you have time you could do the Rebel Tour 85km route which is excellent. Kenmare - Healy Pass - Glengarriff - Caha Pass and down into Kenmare again.

http://www.mapmyride.com/ie/kenmare-m/rebel-rider-2012-85km-route-97370293

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

BailMeOut wrote: »
    If you have time you could do the Rebel Tour 85km route which is excellent. Kenmare - Healy Pass - Glengarriff - Caha Pass and down into Kenmare again.

http://www.mapmyride.com/ie/kenmare-m/rebel-rider-2012-85km-route-97370293

thats the lost sheep route i mentioned above, thanks for posting that

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

You could try Priests's Leap, which must be one of the toughest climbs in the country. It runs parallel to the Kenmare-Glengarriff road, just a few km to its east. You can go Kenmare-Glengarriff-Ballylickey-Priest's Leap-Kenmare, or do it in reverse. Total trip would probably be around 60 km. Scenery is stunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Rebel 85km route if you have time. Kenmare , Healy pass, glengarif ,caha pass and back to kenmare straight to odonobhains for a creamy pint :)

Could go Molls gap , turn for sneem stop at the pancake cottage continue to sneem and back to kenmare on the ther road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Thanks for all the replies. Some great routes in there. Wishing that I was able to do some of the longer ones. Hope to do the Molls Gap, Sneem one on Thursday and then see what happens. Hopefully have time for another one on Saturday. Somebody mentioned the Black Valley to me (at least I think that is what he said ) anybody have any idea where that is ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Yeah, it's halfway down the molls gap descent to sneem, take the turnoff to Glencar. Two of the most challenging climbs are Ballaghabema and Ballaghasheen Spectacular views and an amazing part of the world to cycle, very remote so be careful not to lose your way if you venture there.
    Shown off nicely in this video, check out other clips by paul dolan, a lot of the climbs mentioned in this thread are shown on his you tube page, with strava links for you to view.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Kenmare - Kilgarvan- Borlin Valley (right turn for Bantry in Kilgarvan) and back.
    50km. The Borlin Valley is one of the most picturesque climbs in the country.

For a 50k cycle it is very difficult to do loops - out and back are best.
    Recommend the following.
    Kenmare - head out Sneem road for 3k - right turn for Rossacousane climb(4.5k back road to Molls Gap) - at top right for Molls Gap and straight on to Ladies view.
    Ladies View and back to Kenmare (about 45k for that route).

Kenmare - Molls Gap - left at Molls. After 1k right down into Black Valley.
    Continue to Gap of Dunlow and return.
    50km.

Strawberry Fields Pancake Cottage on Molls Gap Sneem road is stunning for soups, pancakes and coffee.

In Kenmare Brook lane hotel, Jam and the Rose Garden are very cyclists friendly for coffee/lunch etc.

Enjoy.

Advertisement