Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Before buying Mio Cyclo Navigation

Options
  • 28-10-2013 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Said I'd share my experience to save others the same headache.

I'll try and keep it short.

Bought a Mio cyclo 305 as my training companion for the winter. Researched the main suppliers and chose the mio because of the surprise me function as it would randomly plot a route which would make the solo rides more enjoyable. Or so I thought. It hasn't worked.

The first device malfunctioned each of the eight attempts I made to go. 40 km routes magically became 5km. Great if your lazy, not so good if you are trying to get fit again.

Got onto Mio. They sent me reboot, and format instructions, which didn't work. I was told to take it back to the shop. In fairness, the shop were great. There and then they gave me a replacement. So I was chuffed. So the maiden voyage on the 2nd device was Saturday and low and behold it too was pants.

First sign of trouble was when my device beeped to turn into a housing estate 5km in. So I did as I was told, went in for a full lap of the estate, and emerged, with what should have been 40 km remaining on the route, to sadly see 9km remaining. Balls to that.

So contacted the wonderful customer care department, to be told that I am just unlucky to get two malfunctioning devices. And the resolution to the matter, for me to post my device to the UK for it to be repaired. Yipee.

So to anyone who is thinking of buying a Mio, to make the solo rides more enjoyable with the surprise me function, Don't.

If Surprise me doesn't bother you, then the device is not too bad. Bar a few map glitches, where I was directed to cycle through a field, or decades old roads just haven't been created in Mios world, then the device is superb.

I thought I'd save a few euros on Garmins Edge 800, and also get to utilise the surprise me function on my pre work solo cycles in the early mornings.

Regret just doesn't even cut it right now.. My new mission, to alert as many fellow cyclists to steer clear as possible.

I have emails and screenshots of the device to back up my claim, just in case someone thinks Ive a hidden agenda.

If by chance I get a good result out if this I will post back with the details. Till then, it's off to the next forum and the next.....

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Sounds like a total gimmick

Advertisement