Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sending a wheel back to online supplier

Options
  • 28-10-2013 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

i bought a rear mavic equipe wheel online recently. A spoke broke after about 400km ,what can they do for me? it was bought from merlin in the uk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

i bought a rear mavic equipe wheel online recently. A spoke broke after about 400km ,what can they do for me? it was bought from merlin in the uk
    1. Call them (with a phone).
    2. Ask what they can do for you.
    3. Report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 SlowMe

Same thing happened to me recently (bike-discount.de was the retailer). Got on to them and they said they'd send a courier to collect so they could return to manufacturer for assessment - if faulty the wheelset would be replaced under warranty if not I'd be charged for repair.

Seemed crazy to go to all that bother for a spoke and I was pretty happy with the wheelset otherwise. I suggested they refund the cost of the spoke plus LBS fee to fit which they agreed to. A lot less hassle and cost for everyone. Got my €25 a couple of days later. Everybody happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭C3PO

SlowMe wrote: »
    Same thing happened to me recently (bike-discount.de was the retailer). Got on to them and they said they'd send a courier to collect so they could return to manufacturer for assessment - if faulty the wheelset would be replaced under warranty if not I'd be charged for repair.

Seemed crazy to go to all that bother for a spoke and I was pretty happy with the wheelset otherwise. I suggested they refund the cost of the spoke plus LBS fee to fit which they agreed to. A lot less hassle and cost for everyone. Got my €25 a couple of days later. Everybody happy.

I'll be interested to see if Merlin have the same level of customer service!

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

C3PO wrote: »
    I'll be interested to see if Merlin have the same level of customer service!

Me too as a have a fulcrum wheel I bought earlier this year which is continually buckling. I believe there policy is that on warranty items the buyer must cover postage.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Konkers

Bought a set of hope hoops from crc. They continually went out of true. Had them retrued a couple of times by LBS. Eventually got on to crc, wh picked them up and sent them to hope. They relaced the hubs and rims, never a problem since. Also got crc to cover the cost of the retrues ( that's not even a proper word). In a nutshell send it back, they should cover courier as the wheel has not performed to spec.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,344 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Konkers wrote: »
    they should cover courier as the wheel has not performed to spec.
    That is the question though. The OP has provided no details as to how the spoke broke - if it was from regular riding then I agree, but if the wheel hit something hard or there was some other form of accidental damage that goes beyond normal "use" and is unlikely to be covered. It can be an expensive option to send back if they then do refuse to cover

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Spokes will naturally ping and settle on a set of wheels, esp. hand built ones.. If a spoke broke why would you send it back and potentially be without your bike for a couple of weeks?
    It was probably over-tensioned, just bring it to your LBS and pay for a new spoke and a re-tru as required..?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

CRC rebuilt a Mavice Krysium Elite for me (was in warranty) after a crack appeared in a rim by the spoke. Posted wheel using sides of a cardboard box bound together with carpet tape.

Advertisement