Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tubes? All the same?

Options
  • 28-10-2013 1:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

I've to get a new tube for my bike, just wondered are they all more or less the same? Are there any that'll mean you get less flats?
    General advice sought? Do I just worry about if it's a 26 inch tube or not? I used the bike to go to town and back just, about 90miles a week.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

As well as the circumference, make sure that the tube fits the volume of your tyre. They generally fit a range. For example, if your tyre is 2.2", look for a tube that may fit 1.6" - 2.4" or something like that. Also check the valve type. For a 26", it's probably a Schrader (car) valve.

Certain racing tubes will have different lengths of valve and maybe different thicknesses and materials to save on weight, but I think you're okay with considering the previous paragraph.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Big Eejit

abceire wrote: »
    I've to get a new tube for my bike, just wondered are they all more or less the same? Are there any that'll mean you get less flats?
    General advice sought? Do I just worry about if it's a 26 inch tube or not? I used the bike to go to town and back just, about 90miles a week.

Also:

You can use a tube wider than you need if you're stuck for choice, as long as the you have the right circumference (26, 28 etc)

You can get tubes with goo inside them, which self-fix small punctures like these ones: (http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=self+healing+tube. Not a recommendation so much as answering your question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭abceire

Cool cheers.

Advertisement