Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mavic Ksyrium Equipe Rims Replacement

Options
  • 27-10-2013 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

My rims have some brake surface wear I will need to replace them soon. However, can't find any places selling rims for Mavic Ksyrium Equipe. What are the options there, where to get them or alternatively - what other rims would suit with 18f / 20r spoke counts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Ksyrium Elite would be the obvious choice I thought. There is a thread on them somewhere detailing where they can be bought very reasonably.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

CJC999 wrote: »
    Ksyrium Elite would be the obvious choice I thought. There is a thread on them somewhere detailing where they can be bought very reasonably.
    Thanks.
    Do you mean a Ksyrium Elite wheelset or just the rims? I know about the wheelset thread, but I am looking for the rims only.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭asea

I may be wrong,but I had to replace front and rear rims on a pair of six month mavic kysrium sl's that suffered a heavy
    impact , and i could only access the rims through a mavic dealer.

asea wrote: »
    I may be wrong,but I had to replace front and rear rims on a pair of six month mavic kysrium sl's that suffered a heavy
    impact , and i could only access the rims through a mavic dealer.
    Thanks, and I will appreciate if you let me know where I can find one of the dealers and what kind of cost is involved in the rims alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

Given your mileage I would consider these:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/fulcrum-racing-5-cx-clincher-blackwhite-wheelset-2014/

I was looking at getting new bearings for my Mavic Ksyrium Elites in Ireland and ended up finding that the irish import rights are with one of the McQuaid companies:

http://dmcsports.ie

The nearest Mavic stockist to us is Worldwide in Clonmel but I couldn't actually find a service centre as a search on mavic goes back to dmc sports! You could try contacting Barry in Worldwide?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Seweryn wrote: »
    Thanks.
    Do you mean a Ksyrium Elite wheelset or just the rims? I know about the wheelset thread, but I am looking for the rims only.

Sorry i mis-read your post and thought you meant Wheelset.

ashleey wrote: »
    Given your mileage I would consider these:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/fulcrum-racing-5-cx-clincher-blackwhite-wheelset-2014/

I was looking at getting new bearings for my Mavic Ksyrium Elites in Ireland and ended up finding that the irish import rights are with one of the McQuaid companies:

http://dmcsports.ie

The nearest Mavic stockist to us is Worldwide in Clonmel but I couldn't actually find a service centre as a search on mavic goes back to dmc sports! You could try contacting Barry in Worldwide?
    Thanks Ashley.

I am not sure about investing in another off the shelf pair of wheels. If I was to buy another set, I would go more towards something easier to rebuild, i.e. handbuild option, preferably second hand.

I will try WWC, thanks for the suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭asea

Seweryn wrote: »
    Thanks, and I will appreciate if you let me know where I can find one of the dealers and what kind of cost is involved in the rims alone.
    PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

This company gets glowing reviews

http://www.wheelsmith.co.uk

Once my mavics give up ( admittedly they are reliable so far!) then I'm going here.

ashleey wrote: »
    This company gets glowing reviews

http://www.wheelsmith.co.uk

Once my mavics give up ( admittedly they are reliable so far!) then I'm going here.
    Thanks, I have been in contact with them already and they are on top of my list, but will have to wait for a 2015 Christmas bonus or something :). There is no way my Mavic rims will last that long though.

The bearings in Mavics seem to be very reliable and if needed, rather cheap (I paid €7 each for the front in Cycle Superstore about 12 months ago).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭clog

The rims can only be ordered through a shop from mavic. They are not cheap either (about 95 euro each I believe). To be honest by the time they are built you will have probably spent nearly the same as a new pair. The mavic hubs are not easily re-buildable onto a different make rim either.

clog wrote: »
    The rims can only be ordered through a shop from mavic. They are not cheap either (about 95 euro each I believe). To be honest by the time they are built you will have probably spent nearly the same as a new pair. The mavic hubs are not easily re-buildable onto a different make rim either.
    Thanks...

That is something I rather expected and if I am to spend €200 on rims only, I will probably keep researching other options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭TheDocMan

Fully concur with what Clog says above but as as far as I know J. Humphries in Finglas are a mavic wheels distributor and service centre. I definitely know of 2 different damaged Kysirium Premium wheel rims being replaced by them. Worth a call anyway.
    Using Shimano 105 hubs on 32hole Mavic Open Pro rims for winter and super smooth and comfortable. Ultra durable and very serviceable -spoke and bearing wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭C3PO

clog wrote: »

That's been my experience with Mavic too! Nice wheels but if you need to do anything with rims or spokes then it seems to be cheaper/easier to just start again!

Advertisement