Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

At long last Starbucks realise there is civilisation outside of the Pale.

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

xabi wrote: »
    You seem to have posted in the wrong forum, this one is for coffee related stuff.
    Hilarious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Gokei

True, I'm saying for the last few years that Opera Lane would be a no brainer for Starbucks, even emailed them a few times suggesting it.
    But I'm not complaining, Citygate is a lot closer than Kildare Village :-)

Are they not a franchise? If you see an opening, go for it.

Edit: it appears they aren't..

Gokei wrote: »
    Are they not a franchise? If you see an opening, go for it.

Edit: it appears they aren't..
    No they handle the opening of their stores very differently to the likes of McDonald's and KFC.
    I think they have to choose where and then employ a manager.
    Also wouldn't have franchise opening money under the mattress.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

How bout you stay on topic instead of trying to turn this into a Cork vs the rest of Ireland thread.

More backseat moderation. You will lose your posting rights in this forum if you're not careful. If you have a problem with a post, report it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

No they handle the opening of their stores very differently to the likes of McDonald's and KFC.
    I think they have to choose where and then employ a manager.
    Also wouldn't have franchise opening money under the mattress.

Yes, that's correct. They have a master franchisee for Ireland (called Entertainment Enterprises) that runs the Irish stores and hire staff for each outlet accordingly. (they also own the TGI Friday franchise for Ireland). They've opened up about 10 new cafes in Dublin in the last year alone. Now that they've set the precedent for Starbucks in "the provinces", we might start seeing more pop up. (I see Cork city centre, Limerick and Galway as next on their list).

Costa Coffee are way ahead in the expansion trail though with over 60 outlets compared to approx 30 with Starbucks (Costa have just or are about to open in Tralee, Galway, Longford, Coolock, Monaghan, Celbridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

I get that you like Starbucks, but why would you start by attacking the people that are not fans of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

It's a pity that starbucks coffee is pure shíte!

It's actually really nice in the UK & Australia, but I had it in Dublin and was undrinkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

At long last Starbucks will open their doors in Cork next month, literally buzzing http://www.96fm.ie/News-Local-Info?ItemID=2223
    And before any of the coffee snobs pipe up and say "Starbucks wouldn't know coffee if a boiling cup spilled in their laps"
    Save it.

Ahem, Starbucks Coffee has been available in Cork for years, in UCC! Nice coffee; not as tasteful as Lir Cafe mind, but if you're stuck for a decent wake-me-up as I was on some early mornings/late evening study sessions during my years studying there, it was nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 thetoffeeman

where is it going? Too long a wait. Costa (which i also enjoy) got a good head start on them. Can't wait either. Pykes mmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lkionm

ongarboy wrote: »
    Yes, that's correct. They have a master franchisee for Ireland (called Entertainment Enterprises) that runs the Irish stores and hire staff for each outlet accordingly. (they also own the TGI Friday franchise for Ireland). They've opened up about 10 new cafes in Dublin in the last year alone. Now that they've set the precedent for Starbucks in "the provinces", we might start seeing more pop up. (I see Cork city centre, Limerick and Galway as next on their list).

Costa Coffee are way ahead in the expansion trail though with over 60 outlets compared to approx 30 with Starbucks (Costa have just or are about to open in Tralee, Galway, Longford, Coolock, Monaghan, Celbridge.

Costa have been in Ireland for a lot longer and are very slow to do anything in HO.

Their standard of customer service is a lot like going to tesco and they have been cutting hours for years. Its not an enjoyable experience for a customer.

If starbucks do better service they will beat costa, they already have the name and people will go there instead of costa. A lot of people go to costa to feel more privileged for lack of a better word.

• Advertisement

I use coffee shops for the social occasion, but you do need the staff to not be rude. Both costa and starbucks staff are only paid to be friendly, a kind of false friendly. I read the paper, or my book, if the news is all morbid. But I do like the professional way the coffee is made in both. I go to Liverpool quite often, you'd have a costa and starbucks right beside each other, not a bother. same amount of customers in both.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

The coffee is oily and burnt and the coffee is old.

If you enjoy the social aspect to any of these outlets I understand but if it's about the coffee you're doing it wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I worked with Italians and they cant understand why coffee has to be a small bucket of a watery black stuff in Ireland and so over priced. Italian coffee is superior to any American companies coffee. You are paying for the brand starbucks and nothing more. McDonalds is eating into Starbucks profits in the US, as Americans are getting decent affordable coffee from McDonalds.

hfallada wrote: »
    Italian coffee is superior to any American companies coffee.

This isn't true and the likes of stumptown and intelligentsia may have something to say about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

This isn't true and the likes of stumptown and intelligentsia may have something to say about it.

True but a decent bag of italian coffee is about €10-15 for a kg bag. Strumpton is that price, but for third of the coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

hfallada wrote: »
    True but a decent bag of italian coffee is about €10-15 for a kg bag.

where? I've seen stale conveyor belt coffee in supermarkets at that price but not what I'd call "decent" coffee.
    Anyway your assertion that " Italian coffee is superior to any American companies coffee" is simply wrong.

I'vee bought freshly roasted coffee in Italy but it was all upwards of 20 euro/kilo

The only place I can get a half decent cup of coffee in Cork since Starbucks closed in Cork Airport is Butlers, O'Chonaills and a van called golden bean that sets up at the Mahon farmers market. And as a few posters have already mentioned McDonald's have started getting it right as of late.
    Costa always tastes burnt to me and any similarities between BB's beverages and coffee is purely coincidental.
    Anyone come across an actual concrete date for next month's opening?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭mandarin

Have you been to Cork Coffee Roasters on Bridge St? Great cafe, great coffee. Also, you an get 20 or so different coffees from Filter on Georges Quay (Golden Bean and Badger and Dodo coffees).

mandarin wrote: »
    Have you been to Cork Coffee Roasters on Bridge St? Great cafe, great coffee. Also, you an get 20 or so different coffees from Filter on Georges Quay (Golden Bean and Badger and Dodo coffees).
    No I haven't but I will definitely try them out the next time I'm in the city. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I've just wandered in here by mistake to be honest but am I to believe that there are people posting on this thread who believe Starbucks coffee to be more than just adequate? I don't dislike it but it's as basic as it gets. I live in Limerick which is a small city but there are at least 7 or 8 coffee joints who serve better coffee here than Starbucks, Cork is in another league altogether, it baffles me that someone who lives in Cork would be pining for Starbucks. Each to their own!

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DieselPowered

Brands are what they are.
    People follow brands, what about it.

Do you think of and go to Starbucks for a Big mac? You could go to your local chipper and get a burger or a cup of coffee too, but if you want a Big Mac it comes from one place.people who associate Starbucks with coffee do the same.
    Quality of their coffee is a different discussion.;)

American coffee, pah. You see americans drinking it like water, but theres a good reason for that! It is water. So bloody weak. Italian is way better.

Words fail me.

American coffee, pah. You see americans drinking it like water, but theres a good reason for that! It is water. So bloody weak. Italian is way better.

Thetoffeeman... so close to Thecoffeeman, but so far....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

I'm fairly indifferent to Starbucks overall, especially when Insomnia do fantastic coffee which is far superior IMHO.

It's also an Irish business too. Wish they would spread those coffee wings.

I'm fairly indifferent to Starbucks overall, especially when Insomnia do fantastic coffee which is far superior IMHO.

It's also an Irish business too. Wish they would spread those coffee wings.

If you go down this path, wouldn't the best cafes to support be local, small businesses? And they probably would have better coffee, unlike Insomnia.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Looks like Starbucks are still expanding despite COVID. They've just opened drive thru cafes in Tralee and Liffey Valley!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

ongarboy wrote: »
    Looks like Starbucks are still expanding despite COVID. They've just opened drive thru cafes in Tralee and Liffey Valley!

Saturating an area with loss making outlets to put the competition out of business has been their model so Covid has obviously made that easier.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Make sure you have your Macboook with ya......:o:o

Advertisement