Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clever\Smart Quotes\Actions on your Cycle

Options
  • 25-10-2013 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭

I was going to post these in response to other comments in threads and also searched for a Smart Comments thread but could not find one so here goes.

I would like to see a collection of smart ar5e quotes or actions (non-violent, perhaps rude but never crude) cyclists have either made or seen during their inter-traffic encounters. Not limited to bike-car\truck\bus interactions but perhaps also cyclist\cyclist and cyclist\pedestrian.

A couple to start

On being cut-off about 200 metres from a traffic light: Cyclist pulls up alongside motorist and asks "So did you break your PB up to that traffic light?"

On waiting to turn right with an impatient taxi man behind him, taxi man toots the horn, cyclist, as smooth as you like looks back, smiles, waves as in recognition, big smile on his face and makes the hand gesture to the taxi man to "call me". Taxi man looses it, revs the engine but can't get past.

Impatient cyclist in full cycling regalia this time, stuck behind a taxi in traffic tries several times to overtake the car in front of him but the car lurches forward and the cyclist has to de-clip and put a foot down (the shame of it!), calling "For f~*k's sake!" - as he passes the car, driver says "Alright Lance, take it easy, take some more of those drugs to calm yourself down!"

Give us some more ammunition to make these interactions entertaining, I swear I will use them........!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Mechanic365

Just tell them "id say your a very nice person...in your sleep" and cycle off.
    No point fighting just train...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Cyclist caught in the path of another cyclist dispelling mucus membrane "put a bit of salt on that"

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Group of ragged urchins at a bus stop. Urchin #1 points at me and says "Only gays ride bikes".

I point back at said urchin and say "I ride your Ma too".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

I've had people roar "Fa**ot" at me from the window of fast moving cars a couple of times.

Does that count?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

Bunch of kids crossing at lights while I waited for green.

"Hey mistah, yer chain's fla' "

I looked. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

"Youse look gay!"

"You're the one that's looking at us"

Edit to say: Said by a clubmate on a group spin to a group of "ragged urchins" ( thanks johnny jukebox ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

Had a female motorist in a Toyota Aygo shout out her window as she passed me in traffic: "Ye cyclists think ye own the road, there you are taking over the whole road"... to which I replied (when she stopped at the lights about 10m further on) : "Au contraire mademoiselle, I insist in only trying to take over this particular side of the road, about as much room as your car takes up"

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

"you don't do irony, do you?"

After I was berated by a pedestrian for cyclists breaking red lights, while I was stopped at a red light.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

"You may be old but you're not immortal!", said to elderly jay-walking pedestrian.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭calistro

Overheard in a sign-on queue for a Wicklow mountains sportive when a cyclist walks by with a huge orange rucksack on him......"Jaysus, how high are we going, yer man's brought a parachute". All within earshot of said cyclist!!!:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rua_ri

Cycling up Capel street towards the quays on a Dublin bike in the first week that the scheme was launched.

Inner city toerag out of the back seat window of a Fiat punto :
    " look at yer man on the corpo bike ! HEY MISTER , would you not be better off stealing a bike"

20 seconds later we are all stuck in traffic, i turned to him and said "Do you like this bike, would ya steal it ? "
    His reply was "Wouldn't be seen dead on a corpo bike, piece of SH$T "

It was then i thought, this scheme might actually work !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Usually heard addressed to non indicating cyclists :

'Are your arms painted on ?'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

After passing a bus, the driver shouted at me:

"Who do you think you are.. Sean Roche?"

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Haldir

Speaking of "Sean Roche"... next time you are being half wheeled by a fellow cyclist say "that's a fierce long bike you have there"!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

"Ha, a taxi driver resorting to stereotypes" in response to a taxi driver telling me that "you cyclists, yer all the same, blah blah" (which itself was supposed justification for driving like an arse). He struggled to think of a response for a moment, a taxi driver lost for words made the world a slightly better place for a moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

"real men ride women".....ah the humour of teenagers these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Puggy

I've had people roar "Fa**ot" at me from the window of fast moving cars a couple of times.

Does that count?

Don't be overtaking fast moving cars you fa@@ot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

"Jeez, I thought I was being chased by a bear!"

A phrase from an MTBer on the Ticknock climb after I overtook him.

Yes, I was trying and might have sounded a bit out of breath :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Was leap frogging traffic on Camden/Wexford/Aungier/George's st on my singlespeed beater.

Bunch of yahoos up from Tipp for a match in a taxi getting all excited and proud of themselves shout as their taxi drives alongside "It helps if you change the gears!"* and speeds off to the next lights.

When the light goes green I catch up to their queue of traffic and pass the taxi again shouting "Helps with what?".

I was rather dissapointed when they all shouted 'Waaaheey" instead of silently contemplating the error of their ways.

*I seriously contemplated explaining to them that my bike only had one gear but it definitely would not have qualified as a zinger.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

lizzylad84 wrote: »
    "real men ride women".....ah the humour of teenagers these days.

Some young lad said that to me in Stamullen earlier this year. I told him I'd just finished riding his ma and that his dinner got burnt so he should run home and ask her what she thought about that statement!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

In 2005 in Shankill doing about 7 kmh coming back from my first spin in 38 years (age 55), Stillorgan-Sugarloaf-Stillorgan, a young lad shouts "C'mon Boardman". :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

I wish I had read this thread earlier. I was on my way home this evening just coming up to my estate when 3 or 4 lads went by in a car with one of the passengers hanging out the window saying something I couldn't make out. I know it was something smart as I could see him laughing in the car as he went down the road. Then the indicator went on and they turned into my estate. My estate only has 20 houses in it and everyone knows each other, so I'd say they were fairly sheepish when I followed them into the estate. When they got to the house no one got out of the car they just beeped for someone to come out. I know I should have said something but I just cycled by slowly having a good old stare at them. Any advice would be appreciated in case this ever happens again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Roll up nice and slow behind them and start flashing your front light at them saying beep beep until they move on!
    Vélo wrote: »
    Any advice would be appreciated in case this ever happens again!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

calistro wrote: »
    Overheard in a sign-on queue for a Wicklow mountains sportive when a cyclist walks by with a huge orange rucksack on him......"Jaysus, how high are we going, yer man's brought a parachute". All within earshot of said cyclist!!!:P
    He is :D

one

tough

cookie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

I'm fairly certain that this is ficton but it's funny as hell.

My bro told me once about cycling up to a car stopped in traffic and shouting in the window "Where the hell are my domestiques?" and slamming the water bottle onto the ground before storming off on the bike Tommy Voeckler style!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

"Are you a Luas?"

"What?"

"Are you a fuxking Luas?"

"No"

"Well get off the fuxking Luas track!"

A Garda motorbike rider to me. I was tempted to say "I can see why you're not a detective" when he asked me the second time. He then disappears off into
    the distance on the track himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭paudie2005

I was just set off on a spin two weeks ago and a drunk fella walking up the street takes off his shoe and threatens to throw it at me - didn't really have much if a retort to that!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    "Are you a Luas?"

No, but I do know a Louis if that counts :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Al Wright

During the Burren Tour (2011, the wet day) at Doolin foodstop, elderly participant with sandwiches in one hand and tea in the other is offered a chair by a younger cyclist. " Aw thanks lad but shure I've been sitting down all morning"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,143 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I thought a fella was being smart when he drove up beside me and said,

"Where'd you get your legs?"
    "I grew them myself!", I replied jovially, being equally as smart.
    "No, I mean what you're wearing..."
    "Oh, Wiggle.co.uk, or ChainReactionCycles.com, I don't remember exactly." (turns out it was Aldi :p)
    "OK, thanks!"

Another time, a girl on a scooter asked me if I was a mod because I was wearing my boards jersey :D

Advertisement