Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tyre Bulge in Side Wall

Options
  • 24-10-2013 9:16am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Got two punctures yesterday. One was a slow one puncture. Fixed it on the side of the road and then about 1km down the road had a blowout.

Not sure if it was a case of me not repairing it right or what but either way did a proper fix last night at home.

When I was fixing it again last night I noticed a bulge when I first pumped it. Let the air out and pumped it back up again and seemed to be fine.

Was checking the bike this morning and noticed the bulge back.

2lq9.jpg

Is the tyre gone? It has about 6000km on it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Don't ride that thing, it will most likely go out with a bang (literally). The inner liner is probably damaged, wave it goodbye. 6k is a very good amount of kms.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

It went with a band yesterday!

I only noticed it when I got home after 45km this morning. I have a set of 4000s at home but they are 23s as opposed to 25s that are on it now. Prefer the 25s but 23s will have to do for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah that's boned. The bead and sidewall have separated. You should only ever ride a tyre like that to get yourself home.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭slideshow bob

godtabh wrote: »
    Is the tyre gone?
    Yes. They've done fine to get through 6000km.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Check your brake pad alignment. I suspect the tyre wall was weakened over time because the brake pad was rubbing the wheel rim AND the tyre wall. e.g. the brake pad needs to be lowered.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

The bike was serviced maybe a month ago and no issues were raised. I did change the blocks about 2 weeks ago so will double check that

If the tyre block was rubbing the well would it not fail over a bigger area?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

The bike was serviced maybe a month ago and no issues were raised. I did change the blocks about 2 weeks ago so will double check that

If the tyre block was rubbing the well would it not fail over a bigger area?

No...to me... your photo looks like a classic example of a tyre that was weakened by a mis-aligned brake pad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Are those cracks in the wheel rim below the buldge? Did you hit something really hard and damage more than the tyre? If the rim is damaged then it could have cut the tube causing the blowout. Either way the tyre is damaged beyond repair so time for a new set.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭instinct

what kind of pressure do you run normally ? MY GPs started to look bad around the sidewalls when I was running 120. Stay at 100 now but I'm coming up to 4k on them and will be replacing with another set of GP400s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Sounds like when you fixed the puncture there may have beein a tiny piece of the new tube that got under the tyre and therefore between the tyre and rim if you get me? Then when you were braking the heat will expand the air in this tiny pocket to the point where it gives way and you get the bang (the actual blowout) the 'explosion' will have made sh!t of the tyre.

When changing tubes you should inflate and deflate the tube a couple of times and run the lever along the rim making sure the tube is completely inside the tyre.

I'm speaking from experience...happened me more than once in my early days.

• Advertisement

What cracks?

I dont remember hitting anything extraordinary

I changed the tube in pitch black on the side of the road so cant be 100% certain I did it correctly. I did the usual.

Inflate tyre slightly. Put the tyre back on. Pinch the whole way around and inflate fully. I did hear rubbing and just as I was about to stop it went bang.

I usually inflate to 120 psi

What cracks?

I dont remember hitting anything extraordinary

I didnt say for sure there are cracks but if you look at the image you have posted up. Right below the tyre it looks as though there is damage to the rim itself. Two small cracks running down towards the spokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No, I don't see any cracks in that rim, you might be getting confused with the threads hanging out of the torn sidewall. That rim looks OK on inspection, still plenty of depth in that wear indicator.

I do agree with 07Lapierre though, check your brake blocks to make sure they're not even slightly touching the tyre, either when pulled or at rest. They'll eat through the sidewall in no time.

Havent checked the bike yet but from the photo and what I remember of this morning its just tyre thread. I'll be be checking it again later when I get the bike ready for tomorrow

Checked the brake blocks. Seemed to be OK but there was signs of rubbing.

Here is where it failed

mkl0.jpg

Replaced front and back with 23s. First time in a while on 23s

Checked the brake blocks. Seemed to be OK but there was signs of rubbing.

Here is where it failed

mkl0.jpg

Replaced front and back with 23s. First time in a while on 23s

That explains that so. Nasty damage to the tyre alright.

Advertisement