Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone using 25c tyres / tubulars

Options
  • 22-10-2013 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭

I'm considering going down the 25c route.. In my case they are 25c tubulars for use on Bora Ultra carbon wheels.

From what I've read people using 25c tyres / tubulars very often pair them with wider rims. I'm wondering whether these "wider" tubs would suit a relatively narrow rim like Boras.

Would appreciate hearing your experience of 25c tyres / tubulars.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭columbus_66

Hi Letape, I've been using 23,24,25,28mm tyres recently, I used a pair of 25c Michelin Lithion 2 on the bumpy roads of West Cork last weekend and they were great, a nice comfortable ride. I was able to fit them on my racing bike but I think if it was wet and mucky the clearance on the rear wheel would have been to little. That Michelin measured 25.6mm so you must remember tyres and tube can be a different size to that stated in width and depth. Whatever fits your bike I suppose. The 24mm tyres are a good compromise for most racing bikes. I think haveing a wider rim to suit is just marketing as there is not much difference in widths really. And if its for a winter bike with mudguards you are limited to the size of tyre you can fit. That's why I use a cross bike that can take 47mm tyres. The 28mm tyres I am using now are Conti Duraskins but terrible in the wet (Bananaskins!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

Thanks for that. The benefit of the wider rim being paired with a wider tyre seems to be one of aerodynamics; which for me, I am not too worried about!

I have bought a pair of 25c Vittoria Corsa tubs, and while I haven't glued them yet, when I inflate them, they look much wider than the 23c I normally ride. By all accounts they should be smoother and more comfortable to ride. I expect on a fairly narrow rim they may look a little unbalanced though.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭vigorelli

letape wrote: »
    Thanks for that. The benefit of the wider rim being paired with a wider tyre seems to be one of aerodynamics; which for me, I am not too worried about!

I have bought a pair of 25c Vittoria Corsa tubs, and while I haven't glued them yet, when I inflate them, they look much wider than the 23c I normally ride. By all accounts they should be smoother and more comfortable to ride. I expect on a fairly narrow rim they may look a little unbalanced though.
    I've got those tubs on ambrosio nemesis rims and they feel great. I never thought they looked unbalanced

Cheers Vigorelli - "unbalanced" might be the wrong word; to me the extra bulk of the 25c is noticeable, as the rims themselves are quite narrow. Your box section rims may be a bit wider.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭vigorelli

Cheers Vigorelli - "unbalanced" might be the wrong word; to me the extra bulk of the 25c is noticeable, as the rims themselves are quite narrow. Your box section rims may be a bit wider.
    you're quite right. nemesis rims are 21mm wide while the boras are 20mm (according to the interweb)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

vigorelli wrote: »
    you're quite right. nemesis rims are 21mm wide while the boras are 20mm (according to the interweb)

That's quite the pair of eyes you've got on you, being able to notice a 1mm difference in rim width.

I've 23s on the race bike always, 23s on the training bike in summer and 25s on the training bike in winter. The 25s are certainly comfy.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭velopeloton

I ride 4Seasons 25c all year round. Very comfortable and good puncture resistance, plus they roll very nicely.

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    That's quite the pair of eyes you've got on you, being able to notice a 1mm difference in rim width.

Yep - half a mm each side!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Yep - half a mm each side!!

"Eyes of the hawk"

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

I have been running Schwalbe Ultremo ZX HT 25mm tires on my race tubs for most of the year (sometimes the 22 on the front). Same for training - lovely. For comfortable, better grip, probably rolls faster, a little less aero (depending on wheelset).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

I am using 25 Veloflex and 25 FMB in tubs, they are both awesome to ride. Ones are in carbon ribs and the other in alu, both narrow, they don't look or feel weird.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm looking forward to getting them fitted now!

Advertisement