Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

question on cosmic carbones sl.

Options
  • 22-10-2013 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭

Just after purchasing a set of these wheels. Are these wheels suitable for unsmooth or uneven road surfaces? I will be training and racing mostly on smooth roads but some of these roads can have rough patches.

Also anyone suggest a good set of tubes for them?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭disco1

Amprodude wrote: »
    Just after purchasing a set of these wheels. Are these wheels suitable for unsmooth or uneven road surfaces? I will be training and racing mostly on smooth roads but some of these roads can have rough patches.

Also anyone suggest a good set of tubes for them?

Thanks.
    I've had a couple sets of these they will handle any roads...but for winter why not use a cheap wheelset 150-200 euros...also on windy days over winter they will be hard work...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

disco1 wrote: »
    I've had a couple sets of these they will handle any roads...but for winter why not use a cheap wheelset 150-200 euros...also on windy days over winter they will be hard work...

So does all that mean that you've had 8+ sets of them? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭disco1

Do you have friends.....either a phone problem or similar...holy Jesus grow up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭youtheman

Methinks someone needs their 'sensitivity' meter adjusted !!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Are they ok for poor roads so? I have another set of wheels for winter but going to try them out to see what they are like for performance. Anything else i need to know? What kind of tubes are suitable for them? Are GPs 4000's good tyres for them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Are they ok for poor roads so? I have another set of wheels for winter but going to try them out to see what they are like for performance. Anything else i need to know? What kind of tubes are suitable for them? Are GPs 4000's good tyres for them?
    They're just normal clincher rims with an aero section attached. Treat them like you would any other wheel.

Lumen wrote: »
    They're just normal clincher rims with an aero section attached. Treat them like you would any other wheel.

I have a pair of mavic ksyriums sls and mavic askiums for the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Don't use the carbones in the Wicklow hills whatever you do. I did once earlier this year and it was like I had a sail up it was so hard to control the bike.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOD VOICE: Relax, it was a joke, you multiposted, no harm intended

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

cython wrote: »

PMSL! :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Rita1

cython wrote: »

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Don't use the carbones in the Wicklow hills whatever you do. I did once earlier this year and it was like I had a sail up it was so hard to control the bike.

I concur. They can be a tad frightening when descending. It's not pleasant doing +60kph and having your front wheel pull you sideways every time you pass a gate or a truck goes past the other way.

My cosmics are going into winter storage today, a pity because they look so damn cool :).

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Brian? wrote: »
    I concur. They can be a tad frightening when descending. It's not pleasant doing +60kph and having your front wheel pull you sideways every time you pass a gate or a truck goes past the other way.

My cosmics are going into winter storage today, a pity because they look so damn cool :).

I disagree :pac: I've ran 58's up there without any major issues! Obviously it's a silly idea if there is a high wind, but other than that go for it! Also agree they look the business :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Zyzz wrote: »
    I disagree :pac: I've ran 58's up there without any major issues! Obviously it's a silly idea if there is a high wind, but other than that go for it! Also agree they look the business :)
    Zyzz wrote: »

I've been up there with 50mm cosmics up till this week. The high wind is becoming too common. It's not so bad on the smaller twisty roads, but coming down Crookslyn between Brittas and Citywest is hairy enough. It's a straight enough descent but the amount of trucks going the other way and pushing you towards the ditch gets scary.

I'm sticking the cosmics in a velvet bag and putting them away for the winter.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭The Big Lebowsky

I'm not sure are many of you guys aware of this, mavic cosmic carbone SL wheels are just ksyrium rims bonded to non structural carbon fairings. So they should prove to be pretty durable..

I'm not sure are many of you guys aware of this, mavic cosmic carbone SL wheels are just ksyrium rims bonded to non structural carbon fairings. So they should prove to be pretty durable..

You take that back right now mister!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Deleted the duplicates :)

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭The Big Lebowsky

You take that back right now mister!

“Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed.” - Friedrich Nietzche :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

“Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed.” - Friedrich Nietzche :pac:

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." - The Big Lebowski

I think I beat him in a sprint with my cosmics :pac:

• Advertisement

So does this mean I could bond the deep sections to my ksyrium elites?

Rita1 wrote: »

Does this mean you have four ksyrium elites? :P

Does this mean you have four ksyrium elites? :P
    Good one :-D

Can this be done? And would it be worth it?

Can this be done? And would it be worth it?

Is it safe to do so?

I got tyres and tubes for these wheels but i cannot pump the tyres because the valves dont stick above the carbon part of the wheel. Can you get extenders for this and pump wheels that way.

I got tyres and tubes for these wheels but i cannot pump the tyres because the values dont stick above the carbon part of the wheel. Can you get extenders for this and pump wheels that way.

Yes. Any bike shop should have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭dx22

Just buy tubes with 60mm valves on them like these for example

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-quality-road-long-valve-inner-tube/

There is enough clearance to pump the tyres, thats what i do anyways

dx22 wrote: »
    Just buy tubes with 60mm valves on them like these for example

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-quality-road-long-valve-inner-tube/

There is enough clearance to pump the tyres, thats what i do anyways

The ones i bought are 48mm i think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭dx22

The ones i bought are 48mm i think.

well they wont go to waste you can use them with your regular training wheels anyways

if you are thinking of getting those continental ones the 700x20-25 race 28 ones are the size you need for the cosmics (just in case you are not sure!)

Advertisement