Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Edge 705 not powering on

Options
  • 21-10-2013 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭

hi guys, have searched endlessly on internet for this.

because its a garmin, theres plenty of problems, just none to fit the bill exactly as i see it on mine so hopefully somebody can help.

Device was working perfect yesterday. not a problem. got home uploaded data and still had a bit of charge.

went for short spin today, tried powering on but to no success meaning i thought it was dead.

when i tried charging it was to no success.
    the screen is completely blank like when its powered off but holding the power button does nothing.

ive tried soft and hard reset as suggested but nothing happened.
    the pc does register it when i soft reset saying "non recognized device" and i did in fact get the start up screen going for a split second but then nothing again right after.

any suggestions welcome if theres a way to do it from computer instead of from device possibly?

would rather not have to send back to garmin, absolute a$$hole customer service from past and 60 bucks regardless of size or detail of problem whicdh also seems a little unjust ...but this isnt the problem for now anyway :)

thanks in advance..

edit:i did though, forget to mention that it doesnt appear when i stick it in, only when i try reset it with mode+start 10secs, then clicking reset.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

One way I've fixed it in the past is to force it into usb mass storage mode, run a scan disk looking for bad sectors, then re-flash it with a different firmware version. That'll usually clear whatever has stuck.

To get it into mass storage, hold the joystick up then connect it to the pc. Keep it held up until the pc detects it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Can you see it in windows explorer ? If you can't, try reinstall the latest version of Garmin Communicator. If you can, you can backup your history files and make a note of the device folders and their subfolders. When that's done, delete all folders and subfolders.

- recreate all folders and subfolders exactly as they were from within Windows explorer, just as you would create folders/subfolders on the PC.

- download the latest version of the Edge OS and reinstall using the Garmin Software updater tool.

- That should bring everything back online with the factory defaults. Copy back over your history files to the history folder and reboot. I've done this before myself , so PM me if you need any help.

Edit - if you still can't see it after installing browser communicator, force the USB connection as ryaner suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭clog

Have you tried holding mode and trying to power up, it takes about 10 sec before anything happens (that's on an edge 305 I presume a 705 would be similar).

You can also download garmin webupdater http://www8.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=999-99999-27

Try running that and even if it finds no updates re install software anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭c50

thanks for the replies. i will try now in 10 minutes or so and get back to ye thank. thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JOSman

Something like that happened to my TomTom a while back. Let it charge for an hour of so then try and switch it on again.

At times the battery is too low to switch on.

Good luck.

• Advertisement

Ryaner wrote: »
    One way I've fixed it in the past is to force it into usb mass storage mode, run a scan disk looking for bad sectors, then re-flash it with a different firmware version. That'll usually clear whatever has stuck.

To get it into mass storage, hold the joystick up then connect it to the pc. Keep it held up until the pc detects it.

first to be tried but this failed. i did though, forget to mention that it doesnt appear when i stick it in, only when i try reset it with mode,start 10secs, the clicking reset.

ror_74 wrote: »
    Can you see it in windows explorer ? If you can't, try reinstall the latest version of Garmin Communicator. If you can, you can backup your history files and make a note of the device folders and their subfolders. When that's done, delete all folders and subfolders.

- recreate all folders and subfolders exactly as they were from within Windows explorer, just as you would create folders/subfolders on the PC.

- download the latest version of the Edge OS and reinstall using the Garmin Software updater tool.

- That should bring everything back online with the factory defaults. Copy back over your history files to the history folder and reboot. I've done this before myself , so PM me if you need any help.

Edit - if you still can't see it after installing browser communicator, force the USB connection as ryaner suggested.

where is it on IE I should be checking for it?
    will try this now

JOSman wrote: »
    Something like that happened to my TomTom a while back. Let it charge for an hour of so then try and switch it on again.

At times the battery is too low to switch on.

Good luck.

definitely a whole lot more than low battery because does not switch on as it does even when stone dead when i connect to pc, thanks anyway

Is there another USB cable you can try?

Is there another USB cable you can try?

edit: can rule this one out, didnt do anything

• Advertisement

c50 wrote: »
    edit: can rule this one out, didnt do anything

So when you plug in into the PC, you cannot see the Device in Windows?

So when you plug in into the PC, you cannot see the Device in Windows?

correct, the garmin communicator cant see it either. so really its only showing recognition when i do the steps of rebooting and it pops up saying "usb device not recognized"

OK, I take it you tried forcing it as a USB storage device with the joystick ?

OK, I take it you tried forcing it as a USB storage device with the joystick ?

ya held it upwards and plugged it in while keeping it held..nadda :(

going to leave it charging up for a couple or hours in case a miracle happens but looks like ill be posting it back. will ring garmin tomorrow if nothing in the mean time crops up

emailed garmin yesterday.

theyve got no solution and basically said its crocked and to send it back at a fixed rate of £82.50...6 months use i got from it from new but had been sitting in box from 2011 so no warranty cover...

so..before i post back, does anyone know if those guys who repair garmins on ebay are any good??

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

AT least if you get it fixed by Garmin the repair should be guaranteed for a certain amount of time.

Páid wrote: »
    AT least if you get it fixed by Garmin the repair should be guaranteed for a certain amount of time.

hopefully a year. knowing my luck it'll kick the bucket after 366 days ;-)

Advertisement