Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steerer extender - questions

Options
  • 21-10-2013 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭

A new larger garden shed has given me the space to work on an old MTB, a Scott Sawtooth that is about 20 years old. Mentioned previously in a Frankenbike thread. It's being worked on with the sole intention of having it as a utility / knock about bike.

One of the major stumbling blocks was removing the old forks - the old quill stem is wedged solid in the fork steerer (a 1" one). No amount of WD40, Heat or Coca-Cola (don't ask) would shift it. So I resorted to cutting off the old quill stem just above the threads of the fork at the weekend.

So now I'm now left with a fork, threaded at the top, but with about 50mm or so of the remainder of the quill stem stuck inside (I've managed to get the wedge out was well). If I can free this, I will be using a steerer extender, which seems to be a handy way of converting this from a threaded stem to one that will take a modern stem of my choosing.

If I can't remove the old bit of quill, is the easiest solution to just replace the forks? The extender wont be a waste of money, as it is cheap and will allow me to chose from a wider range of replacement forks.

Advertisement