Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hey guys fairly new to the mayo/galway area

Options
  • 21-10-2013 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

I am an experienced fisherman who always practices catch and release, i am looking for some advice on piking in the area. i tried fishing cloon lough over the weekend with the fly rod and my tube. i got one about 4lb. however the lough was very very shallow. i dont know if i was fishing in a bay (couldnt see much for bull rushes) i walked the cloon river looking for the lough but couldnt get up to it due to a large dyke filled with mud and water and a wall of brambles! i have heard people fish it but i am 90% i wasnt on the lough properly. any advice on this lough would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

Did You ever try the Clare River It's fairly good About a year ago 28lb pike was caught i Dont pike Fish as much Im trout fisher! I'm sure more people with tell info Etc

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭floattuber_lee

im a trout fisherman too but need to do something in the off season!

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭madred006

im a trout fisherman too but need to do something in the off season!

Same as that just curious to know what set up u use for the pike ,guessing you would need 8-9 wt set up .

i use the greys grxi 9' 9#

i use the greys grxi 9' 9#

Reckon my loomis nrx #6 not up to it then might have a look for 9 wt set up like you it's just to get out over wintertime

• Advertisement

if you catch a double figure pike on a 6# it would give you the run around and wouldn't be good for the fish! the grxi is a good rod and was about E110 when i bought it 4 years ago. may be cheaper now. p.s use plenty of backing line!

if you catch a double figure pike on a 6# it would give you the run around and wouldn't be good for the fish! the grxi is a good rod and was about E110 when i bought it 4 years ago. may be cheaper now. p.s use plenty of backing line!

Thanks very much plan on doing a bit on Lene in mullingar in few weeks time , seen lads catching great pike on it and it looks fun .Plus get me out of her hair for a bit , are the flies dear ,as I tie all my own for trout . Thanks again .

I forgot to mention Bilberry lake up in mayo between castlebar and Westport had some good pike I believe and great crowd of lads up there .

pike flies aren't complicated to tie. this blog is good for patterns and the guy normally has a video up of what materials you need to tie and how to tie them

http://mcfluffchucker.blogspot.ie/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Sent you a pm

• Advertisement

cheers guys!

Advertisement