Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orwell from Dublin 15

Options
  • 21-10-2013 6:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi,
    I'd like to join Orwell wheelers. But, I live in west Dublin and don't have a car. Is there any kind of car pooling in operation? I'd be happy to split petrol costs.
    I emailed them but got no reply.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I live near Blanch and cycle down. It adds 45km ish but you get used to that soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 mariussulla

Lumen wrote: »
    I live near Blanch and cycle down. It adds 45km ish but you get used to that soon enough.

Thanks, Lumen. I presume you mean 45 mins, not 45km..(!)
    I understand they have different groups. Do I decide which group I cycle with and just muck in?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I understand they have different groups. Do I decide which group I cycle with and just muck in?

45 km sounds right to get to Dundrum and take whatever shortcut home. Blanch wheelies, dunboyne and Lucan would be nearer clubs to you at a guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

I am 20km away from dundrum as well, I make sure I leave early:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

Start with white, see how you go - they'll teach you the basics of group riding, which you need to know before you start riding with the other groups (even if you're already capable of the speed). When one of the leaders in white tells you you're ready, move up a group at a time until you find one that suits you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

Also, I live in Drumcondra, and I just view the commute over as an extended warm-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Either works :pac:.

It's about 45 minutes each way and 45km round trip, but it's flat so you can go nice and easy. Apart from the little dip in and out of Chapelizod.

You may not be able for this yet, but my point is that you probably won't find anyone to car share with since other people just cycle there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Occasionally there have been spins from the Phoenix Park. I was on a few last year as I have an aversion to climbing. Tends to bead around Meath. Keep an eye on website. The ones I joined had small turnout and was mixed orange/red group.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

ROK ON wrote: »
    Occasionally there have been spins from the Phoenix Park. I was on a few last year as I have an aversion to climbing. Tends to bead around Meath. Keep an eye on website. The ones I joined had small turnout and was mixed orange/red group.
    The Winter spin roster show it as every 2 weeks. Not one to start out with if you are just starting out though.

Advertisement