Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extremist cycling

Options
  • 20-10-2013 8:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭

Ok folks I'm not here to rain on your parade. I do cycle myself, not as much as the guys here.

I was driving on the N81 on Saturday morning. There were cyclists 3 abreast, on a very busy road, holding up traffic and giving the V sign to drivers.

There were another 3 doing the same about 3 miles up, this road is dangerous, why are they trolling the drivers?

What in the name of Jaysus is this about?

Is it a new craze or something ?

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,989 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I've no idea

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I don't know, I wasn't there.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,052 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Presumably they felt that the road wasn't wide enough for safe overtaking.

Or they were idiots.

Or something else.

You should probably have stopped and asked them if you wanted to know. There isn't some sort of cycling hive mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭funt cucker

These guys were obviously part of a team, they had the same jerseys on.

At crook sling on the blessington road they gave all the drivers the "v", I saw frustrated drivers taking stupid overtaking risks because they wouldn't defer from 3 abreast

Is this normal cycling behaviour?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

No

• Advertisement

These guys were obviously part of a team, they had the same jerseys on.

At crook sling on the blessington road they gave all the drivers the "v", I saw frustrated drivers taking stupid overtaking risks because they wouldn't defer from 3 abreast

Is this normal cycling behaviour?

I would guess that they were two abreast and the other guy was half-wheeling but still behind. That's normal and legal.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

You probably should have stopped and reminded them that cycling three abreast is illegal or report it to the gardaí and they'll remind them.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Raam wrote: »
    I would guess that they were two abreast and the other guy was half-wheeling but still behind. That's normal and legal.

Yeah but 20 cars trying to get through, could they have just lined up, one after ther other without causing disruption?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Glad someone finally noticed.

I go out with two mates every Sunday morning. We are middle aged and angry.

So we get our jollies from annoying the hell out of people. If the road is narrow we tend to fan out and prevent anyone passing - oh how we laughed.

Now that you are angry you have made my day. It was only meant to be a bit of fun.

Yeah but 20 cars trying to get through, could they have just lined up, one after ther other without causing disruption?

Yep, that's what I would do. I don't want a string of cars behind me.

• Advertisement

ROK ON wrote: »
    Glad someone finally noticed.

I go out with two mates every Sunday morning. We are middle aged and angry.

So we get our jollies from annoying the hell out of people. If the road is narrow we tend to fan out and prevent anyone passing - oh how we laughed.

Now that you are angry you have made my day. It was only meant to be a bit of fun.

Not funny, it's happening quite regularly and I don't understand why?

Cos two abreast is legal. Don't sweat it, you can't change what you can't control.

What do you not understand. I told you why. I do this to p1ss you off. You see I hate cars and enjoy nothing more than holding people up on a wet Sunday morning. I know I'm bad, but hey you now know why you were held up by a bunch of clowns in Lycra.

Cos two abreast is legal. Don't sweat it, you can't change what you can't control.

What About 3 abreast on a Saturday morning, I just want to understand this.

What do you not understand. I told you why. I do this to p1ss you off. You see I hate cars and enjoy nothing more than holding people up on a wet Sunday morning. I know I'm bad, but hey you now know why you were held up by a bunch of clowns in Lycra.

Mother of god, are you serious?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

That one was answered in post #8.
    The day of the week only really matters with bus lanes and parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Yep, that's what I would do. I don't want a string of cars behind me.

I am with Raam on his one, the last thing that I want is a string of angry motorists behind me (where I cannot see them), getting frustrated and taking silly risks. I want them past me and in front of me as quickly as possible.

How are we meant to know why three random, unknown people would cycle three abreast?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭happytramp

He's joking.

How are we meant to know why three random, unknown people would cycle three abreast?

Trolling traffic maybe?

• Advertisement

Trolling traffic maybe? ROK ON, seems to know about this.

He is just winding you up.

Anyway, who wouldn't want to sit behind three asses like this for a while?

stage7-danilo_hondo-RB-roadbikeaction.jpg

Two posts of that pic today. I'm gonna go for the hat trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

OP - you're going to love it when the Giro arrives next year.

Happy motoring......

He is just winding you up.

Anyway, who wouldn't want to sit behind three asses like this for a while?

stage7-danilo_hondo-RB-roadbikeaction.jpg

Two posts of that pic today. I'm gonna go for the hat trick.

Thanks Raam, good pic, it's nice to see a cool head around here, to a genuine question.

Jawgap wrote: »
    OP - you're going to love it when the Giro arrives next year.

Happy motoring......

What is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Ok folks I'm not here to rain on your parade. I do cycle myself, not as much as the guys here.

I was driving on the N81 on Saturday morning. There were cyclists 3 abreast, on a very busy road, holding up traffic and giving the V sign to drivers.

There were another 3 doing the same about 3 miles up, this road is dangerous, why are they trolling the drivers?

If this is happening quite regularly, then tell us where please. What part of the country; what town etc etc.

Thanks,

You betcha

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Op, there's no way we can possibly answer your original question. There's all kinds of idiots on the road, and I don't see why we would know anything about these specific people.

The Giro d'Italia, however, you can google.

You betcha

Thanks, so my "new" view of cyclists is warranted.

God help them.

Op, there's no way we can possibly answer your original question. There's all kinds of idiots on the road, and I don't see why we would know anything about these specific people.

The Giro d'Italia, however, you can google.

ROC ON answered my question, so that's the way I'm gonna think of it from now on.

• Advertisement

Thanks, so my "new" view of cyclists is warranted.

God help them.

Have all cyclists transgressed against you? One driver knocked me down. I don't hold the same view about all drivers that I do about that one person.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement