Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good tubes for a road bike

Options
  • 20-10-2013 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭

Have had two tubes with faulty valves lately and another where the valve came away from the tube. Looking for recommendations for good, cost efficient tubes. Online or LBS in the Dublin area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,647 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

ExpertCycles.ie (01) 442 5841

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    ExpertCycles.ie (01) 442 5841

Any recommendations of actual brand of tubes? Also sick of walking into shops and they seem to pick prices out of their heads depending on what they think they can get out of you. Not going to name the shops where they have charged different prices for the same tube.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,647 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Any recommendations of actual brand of tubes? Also sick of walking into shops and they seem to pick prices out of their heads depending on what they think they can get out of you. Not going to name the shops where they have charged different prices for the same tube.

Schwalbe tubes, never had an issue with them or the shop...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I have BBB tubes in my bike for the last 2 years. Had to only patch 1 of them once. Went through cheaper tubes before that I bought cheap online - every one of them (5) split at the seams over time and were impossible to patch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

I have continental tubes which are very reliable. If you have a pump with a screw in adaptor, such as the Lezyne ones, they can unscrew the valve core when removed. This has proven 'frustrating' to say the least on my few punctures. Since then I look for brands with a fixed valve core such as Lifeline from Wiggle. Not the coolest brand but beats screaming at the ditch!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭caadmium

I have a Lezyne pump with the screw in adaptor (excellent pumps btw. very rigid and the most efficient pumps I've used). I have experienced the frustration of the valve unscrewing and dumping all the air pressure too! You can overcome the probelm by just tightening the valve core very tightly with a small spanner or pliers whenever you take a new tube out of the box. (Before you put it on the bike or in your saddle bag.)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Diamond_25

i find the continental ones good, go for a butyl tube rather than a latex tube, latex tubes are minaly used for racing - link below. i have been cycling and pumping these regularly for years and have never had an issue around the valve

are you installing them correctly as it is unusual to get three faults in a row? could it be a problem with your pump, some pumps require you to pull the pump head from the tube when done and maybe you are doing this to aggresively? what pump do you have?

http://www.swimcyclerun.com/accessories/continental-tour-28-slim-presta-42mm.html

Diamond_25 wrote: »
    i find the continental ones good, go for a butyl tube rather than a latex tube, latex tubes are minaly used for racing - link below. i have been cycling and pumping these regularly for years and have never had an issue around the valve

are you installing them correctly as it is unusual to get three faults in a row? could it be a problem with your pump, some pumps require you to pull the pump head from the tube when done and maybe you are doing this to aggresively? what pump do you have?

http://www.swimcyclerun.com/accessories/continental-tour-28-slim-presta-42mm.html

The last faulty valve one blew out on Saturday. Had got it pumped that morning and after bout 70km it just went. I'm putting it down to a faulty batch as all 3 were bought at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I use Airwave tubes. Works out about €3.40 each, last pretty well, take patches and the valves don't unscrew.

what brand were you using and where did you get them?

• Advertisement

what brand were you using and where did you get them?

Not sure of the brand and not naming the shop where I got them. I won't be going back to them again as they seem to just pick prices out of thin air.

the pick prices out the air pisses me off too, small BBB clamp for front mech, no price on it, the shop attendant shouts into the mechanic how much? f*cking €18 he comes up with. shouldnt have bought it but wanted to get out on the bike

the pick prices out the air pisses me off too, small BBB clamp for front mech, no price on it, the shop attendant shouts into the mechanic how much? f*cking €18 he comes up with. shouldnt have bought it but wanted to get out on the bike

How much is it online?

€9.83 on wiggle as i checked there now

Advertisement