Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Club spins on TT bike?

Options
  • 19-10-2013 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

I'm a triathlon club member but our club spins don't suit me. So was going to join local cycling club but am wondering if cycling clubs allow TT bikes on group rides?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Aero bars are generally a non runner but ask the club you are eyeing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Nope. Not allowed. Not allowed on sportives either.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Nope. Not allowed. Not allowed on sportives either.

Tell that to Wicklow 200 organisers. My day was ruined when a girl went by me on a climb on a TT bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

shutup wrote: »
    Tell that to Wicklow 200 organisers. My day was ruined when a girl went by me on a climb on a TT bike.

Oh no, not a girl.
    The slowest man is still faster than the fastest girl. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

shutup wrote: »

You don't have to pay to do the route on the day, they are public roads so there are no restrictions that can be imposed by the organisers on those who don't sign up, they just don't get into the foodstops or get their medal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭The Big Lebowsky

I would consider it very poor form to show up at a clubrun while riding a tt bike. There is a huge safety issue here, insofar as tt bikes tend to not handle as well as a road bike and much more lightly to cause a crash on a group ride.

Why not do some short two up time trial efforts with a like minded clubmate, if you wish to accustom your body to riding in your time trial/triathalon position?

I would consider it very poor form to show up at a clubrun while riding a tt bike. There is a huge safety issue here, insofar as tt bikes tend to not handle as well as a road bike and much more lightly to cause a crash on a group ride.

Why not do some short two up time trial efforts with a like minded clubmate, if you wish to accustom your body to riding in your time trial/triathalon position?

Yeah, you mean something like this....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

DaithiMC wrote: »

Is it wrong to laugh?
    I'm a very naughty boy if it is :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

I'll be honest. I burst out laughing at that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I thought he had come to a halt and then some flip at the end!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

Did the blame not lie with the guy on the road bike and clip ons. He was drafting inside his wheel right? He did well to keep it upright though.

There are a couple of things wrong in it but yes the guy who did crash also overlapped. When you do that you're asking for trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

Yes, the blame lies with the guy who crashed. See the way he has to sit up to go for his brakes, with the resulting wobble? That's why aerobars should not be used on group spins.
    He only flipped at the end cos the wheel was buckled, producing uneven braking effort. Wheel seemed to collapse fairly easily though.....

The sloppy up 'n' overs are another problem entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Diamond_25

did seem to collapse very easily alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Collapse easily? He had half his spokes ripped out! Hence the 'wobble' and front wheel lock up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Earlier this year I was on my way back from a spin out by Enniskerry.
    A tri club were out training. All on TT bikes in a pace line doing up and overs down by Scalp. It looked strangely hypnotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭GoTilUBlow

Shows how well drilled the pro teams are to go at this 9 up.

GoTilUBlow wrote: »
    Shows how well drilled the pro teams are to go at this 9 up.

Even a lot of the pros don't like the team tt due to the danger involved.

dave2pvd wrote: »
    Collapse easily? He had half his spokes ripped out! Hence the 'wobble' and front wheel lock up.

I think in the panic of seeing the looming bushes he probably also touched the front brake and that was the final "straw".

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭GoTilUBlow

In answer to the original thread question, some clubs won't allow it, the roads are public and you can turn up, but you can expect a lot of looks of derision. Also, cycle lanes are pretty bad places to use tri-bars as well. (I've seen people at it)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

Thanks everyone. Club confirmed no TT bikes allowed, which is sensible.
    I'll be on the road bike so!

Advertisement