Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I apologise to one and all....

Options
  • 17-10-2013 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

... for another new bike thread.But your help would be very much appreciated.

So i'm over in Manchester and I've got £1000 for bike and accessories etc and so forth on bike to work . Thinking around £700-ish on the bike. I'm going to go for 2013 stock which means that size wise I'm a wee bit reduced in terms of choice but its great savings. Can i get your opinions on a few options:

This one interests me quite a bit: Cube Peloton Pro Compact 2013 £729.00

Giant Defy 2 2013 £649.00

Specialized Allez Elite 2013 £800.00

This is the place I'm getting it from I'll be getting it from B&M shop but just doing the research online. Is there any others from cyclesurgery I should be looking at??

thanks again for any help.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

The Allez seems good value, but the Cube Peloton Race is more bike for the money, 105 vs Tiagra and Easton EA50 AERO* vs lower speced on the specialized.

http://www.cyclesurgery.com/cube-peloton-race-compact-2013/road-bikes/bikes-components-bikewear/fcp-product/46862

*That's a very good set of wheels.
    List price is €395 and currently on sale on Wiggle for €227
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/easton-ea50-aero-clincher-wheelset/

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭full_irish

Thanks for getting back to me. Unfortunately, with the bike to work scheme we use at work and that I've chosen the store- cyclesurgery (close and came recommended by someone at work) so has to be form this company.

full_irish wrote: »
    Thanks for getting back to me. Unfortunately, with the bike to work scheme we use at work and that I've chosen the store- cyclesurgery (close and came recommended by someone at work) so has to be form this company.

I edited my original post and included a bike with better specs for the same price from the store you need to buy from.

Seaneh wrote: »
    I edited my original post and included a bike with better specs for the same price from the store you need to buy from.

Ooh thanks seaneh, you're a gem. I had missed that one alright. Is there an other bits of wisdom you wish to impart??

Is it worth splashing out on expensive shoes, pedals etc.. or just go for something on offer?? My understanding is.. the harder, the better - right?

Ooh thanks seaneh, you're a gem. I had missed that one alright. Is there an other bits of wisdom you wish to impart??

Is it worth splashing out on expensive shoes, pedals etc.. or just go for something on offer?? My understanding is.. the harder, the better - right?

I used 105 pedals and I like them, as for shoes, I have a pair of Chainsport shoes and they do the job grand, I wouldn't be the most knowledgeable about shoes though.

BTW, I misread the specs of the cube, it has Easton EA30 wheels, still an upgrade on the specialized though and 105 over tiagra is a big boost.

• Advertisement

Anybody have any more input to throw into this??

I'm going to the shop in the morrow to select my shiny new steed and would appreciate any last minute tips.

Go raibh mile.

full_irish

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

Have the Giant Defy 2 2013, found it pretty good nice and comfy... tires were rubbish.... replaced them happy out. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Is it your first bike?
    If it is, I'd spend the full £1000 on the bike and pick up the other bits and pieces in Aldi/Lidl/Secondhand.
    The brother-in-law did what you did and has regretted it ever since.

That said, the Peleton is great value. The buddy bought one a few weeks back and it cost him €1200!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Anybody have any more input to throw into this??

I'm going to the shop in the morrow to select my shiny new steed and would appreciate any last minute tips.

Go raibh mile.

full_irish

Ask Simon in Cyclesurgery as many technical questions as you can. He's avowedly not a roadie (he'll probably tell you that you need an MTB) but he knows his stuff*.

And if you're pleased with the service send an email to the store praising the person by name because in my experience they provide excellent customer service but then get grief from the management who don't seem to see it.

**Cyclesurgery were my LBS when I worked in Scummer

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Ask Simon in Cyclesurgery as many technical questions as you can. He's avowedly not a roadie (he'll probably tell you that you need an MTB) but he knows his stuff*.

And if you're pleased with the service send an email to the store praising the person by name because in my experience they provide excellent customer service but then get grief from the management who don't seem to see it.

**Cyclesurgery were my LBS when I worked in Scummer

That's the Dundrum store, the lad's over in Manchester so somehow I can't imagine Simon being there :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    That's the Dundrum store, the lad's over in Manchester so somehow I can't imagine Simon being there :pac:

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuur didn't ping that.

Thanks fot the advice of those who helped - it was very helpful and much appreciated.

I ended up going for the Cube Peleton and I'm delighted with it. Took it out for the first proper big spin on Sunday - which included sunshine, rainbows, rain and hale. When it was hale-ing down, I noticed myself smiling and thinking I love this - the cycling bug has well and truly bit.

Advertisement