Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corratec Dolomiti 105 Compact vs Ltd

Options
  • 17-10-2013 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭

Corratec Dolomiti Ltd - €750

Corratec Dolomiti Compact - €963

The same Compact is on sale at Eurocycles currently for €840.

To me it looks like the only differences are the wheels and the crankset. Maybe the cassettes differ too as there's no specs listed for the Compact.

Would you say the Compact (at Eurocycles) is worth the extra €90?

Also, when buying a bike online, I assume it requires self assembly?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭cython

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Corratec Dolomiti Ltd - €750

Corratec Dolomiti Compact - €963

The same Compact is on sale at Eurocycles currently for €840.

To me it looks like the only differences are the wheels and the crankset. Maybe the cassettes differ too as there's no specs listed for the Compact.

Would you say the Compact (at Eurocycles) is worth the extra €90?

Also, when buying a bike online, I assume it requires self assembly?

Looking at the crankset, the compact has the non-series FC-R565 rather than the Tiagra 4650. Not sure which is better, but the 565 has a higher RRP on most sites, and seems to be the choice of several manufacturers (Cube, Lapierre, Trek, etc.) for pairing with 105 when they don't want to spring for the matching 5700 crankset. I have seen statements before claiming the 565 to be the better piece of kit, but I have nothing concrete to back that up. Certainly the prices of that alone don't vary by the €90 extra!

Unfortunately it's difficult to quantify the difference in the two wheelsets, as the manufacturer's site is pretty sparse, but the ones on the Compact read like higher spoke count, so may be a bit more durable: http://www.zzyzx-usa.com/en/parts/wheels.html

As far as self assembly goes, my GF ordered a BeOne from CRC about 18 months ago, and it came largely assembled, with only putting on the handlebars and some tightening of cables required (front mech tension was all wrong!), so it should be minimal, but YMMV.

As you say, there may be a difference in the cassette, but unless there's a big difference in the ratios, I wouldn't be too concerned about that, as plenty of 105 and even Ultegra (6700) bikes are shipped with Tiagra cassettes now that it has gone to 10 speed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Thanks for that. I thought less spokes was better (ie less weight) but didn't realise that durability might be compromised. It's the Compact which has the 2.0 wheels (24 front ,28 rear), the Ltd has 3.0 wheels (32 front and rear).

I agree info on these bikes is scarce and sometimes contradicting as well. For instance I've seen the description mentioning Ultegra kit but in the spec it says 105. Also some online stores get the specs for the Ltd mixed up with the Compact.

I'm going out on a limb here with buying a bike. I'm struggling to find big framed bikes on the shop floors. I'm 6'2" and 95kg and all the display bikes are S or M sized, so I can't get a grasp of the difference in riding positions between bikes.

My head hurts from reading reviews and specs and prices!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭cython

Thanks for that. I thought less spokes was better (ie less weight) but didn't realise that durability might be compromised. It's the Compact which has the 2.0 wheels (24 front ,28 rear), the Ltd has 3.0 wheels (32 front and rear).

Sorry, misread the specs so. It's quite possible that the 2.0 wheels are an upgrade, maintaining similar durability with the lower spoke count.
    I agree info on these bikes is scarce and sometimes contradicting as well. For instance I've seen the description mentioning Ultegra kit but in the spec it says 105. Also some online stores get the specs for the Ltd mixed up with the Compact.

I'm going out on a limb here with buying a bike. I'm struggling to find big framed bikes on the shop floors. I'm 6'2" and 95kg and all the display bikes are S or M sized, so I can't get a grasp of the difference in riding positions between bikes.

My head hurts from reading reviews and specs and prices!

I know your pain, being 6'3" myself! When I bought my bike budget limited me to a second hand alu frame so I had to wait a long time for something in that size to come along. However if/when I look for an upgrade bike, you can be sure I won't be buying in B&M without being able to try either the bike I'm buying, or an equivalent geometry one in the same size!

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

I got a 2012 Ultegra version 11 months ago and find it excellent.
    It has the same crankset and don't find anything wrong with it.

http://eurocycles.com/ie/product/corratec/dolomiti-ultegra

The wheels TBH were not great. Replaced them with Fulcrum 5s after 6 months as I had 3 broken spokes with major buckles.

The other thing I wasn't keen on was the brakes not being Shimano or Ultegra (said Id replace later) but in all honesty found no need as they stop fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Yeah it's a pity they couldn't put 105 brakes and keep the price down. The blue painted Zzyzx set looks cheap-n-chav.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

If you weren't happy with them you could change them for €53 in Merlin..

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/road-parts/road-brakes/brake-calipers/shimano-105-5700-brake-calipers-black-pair.html

Yeah it's a pity they couldn't put 105 brakes and keep the price down. The blue painted Zzyzx set looks cheap-n-chav.

Advertisement