Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Lures etc

Options
  • 17-10-2013 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭

Hey all any tips on Lures for pike im a newbie to fishing and have to say pardon the pun im hooked been at milford for 2 days last week 7 hours both days and loved it but never caught a thing :o just wondering is there any Lure that you would use that is effective i have been using spoon lure and Minnow is there any other that might help thanks ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

Well i don't pike fish Any more But i found that lures that go 3 or 8 feet under the water is great i caught my best pike (18 lb River pike) and it was a lidl Lure...

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭dazza161989

Copper spoons, large tobys, very large mepps, shallow diving plugs, soft plastis i.e shads, worms etc
    It depends on the circumstance. They have been known to take tin foil wrapped on a hook!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Spoons, Toby's and tazmanian devils can be great when trolling.
    Bank fishing I'd use mepps of any size and maybe a bulldog depending on depth. I like using small roach aswell and twitching them back in. The takes no matter the pike size do be great.
    Pike fishing isn't easy. People think its a hungry greedy predator that'll chase or take anything but its not.
    They are Smart fish and can be tricky to catch.
    Hoping to get out in November to some deep pools and mainly use small perch trout or roach and will e twitching them in from the banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭DANNY22XX

Thanks a mill guys :D

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

DANNY22XX wrote: »
    Hey all any tips on Lures for pike im a newbie to fishing and have to say pardon the pun im hooked been at milford for 2 days last week 7 hours both days and loved it but never caught a thing

Try the fast water just to the right of the bottom lock gate, don't spend too much time up around the narrow road bridge area, I never have to much joy there with lures. Cover ground both above the wier heading to Carlow and below the lock heading to Bagnelstown. I have had good catches below the motorway bridge at times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

its not just about the lures, its how you work them, and where you fish. dont just cast out, and reel in like a robot, explore all depths and keep the lure working in the water right to the bank, I have had loads of pike 1 foot from the bank.

If had to pick 1 lure for the rest of my life it would be this. I have had loads of them over the years.
    http://i1.adis.ws/i/hkg/036282008861_1/Abu-Garcia-Atom-35-g-Spoon.jpg?$json250$&img404=fb_uk

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

its not just about the lures, its how you work them, and where you fish. dont just cast out, and reel in like a robot, explore all depths and keep the lure working in the water right to the bank, I have had loads of pike 1 foot from the bank.

If had to pick 1 lure for the rest of my life it would be this. I have had loads of them over the years.
    http://i1.adis.ws/i/hkg/036282008861_1/Abu-Garcia-Atom-35-g-Spoon.jpg?$json250$&img404=fb_uk

good choice ...... I am slightly biased towards these old guys.

.http://www.stripersonline.com/products/dardevle-genuine-spoons

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thekevin4540

i was doing a bit of pike fishing last week and what i was catching them on was small mackerel or half mackerel great bait thay wouldent take any kind of lure i use everything i had in my box for some reason thay were only taking the mackerel maybe it was something different to them or try herring and sardeens these baits are very cheap and catch alot of pike thats what i find works best for me

i was doing a bit of pike fishing last week and what i was catching them on was small mackerel or half mackerel great bait thay wouldent take any kind of lure i use everything i had in my box for some reason thay were only taking the mackerel maybe it was something different to them or try herring and sardeens these baits are very cheap and catch alot of pike thats what i find works best for me
    Depending on how bad the water was then mackerel or any smelly bait is best.
    If its coloured water then dead baiting is the only way.
    What size were they

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Still waters seem to fish best with dead baits for me, with lures for rivers. But I'm sure venues differ.

• Advertisement

Still waters seem to fish best with dead baits for me, with lures for rivers. But I'm sure venues differ.

In rivers I'd use lures or a small dead bait for spinning in fast water. Had pike take minnow aswell when trout fishing.
    Your right all venues are different.
    All fish are different.
    Some pike will easily gulp down a mackerel. Others will pass it and maybe take a dead roach instead.
    With fishing majority of it is pure luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

Lucios Bluefox for me, must have spoon, end of! :)

I have boxes of lures, this is the only one that is consistant, if there is a pike in the area it will go for it.
    http://www.powerboats.lv/en/info/blue-fox-lucius-sblg.html

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

DANNY22XX wrote: »
    Hey all any tips on Lures for pike im a newbie to fishing and have to say pardon the pun im hooked been at milford for 2 days last week 7 hours both days and loved it but never caught a thing :o just wondering is there any Lure that you would use that is effective i have been using spoon lure and Minnow is there any other that might help thanks ;)

Well Danny did you get out this weekend ? any luck ?

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭DANNY22XX

Heading out first thing Mon morning

Advertisement